I am livid. How come you are insipid?

PS Prabhakar (Partner in a CA firm) (930 Points)

03 October 2009  

Hi guys, I am a CA passed out in 1980 and in active practice. I became so livid when I came across a recent announcement in the ICAI website about the eleventh hour change in the exam structure applicable for Nov 2009. I wrote to the Prez and his council collegues and as expected of them, NONE replied yet. I am reproducing my mail:

Dear Mr President,

I am appalled to see the "important announcement"  in the Institute's website  regarding the Nov 2009 examination - about the Examination Committee having taken some important decisions in respect of (a) syllabus change and (b) pattern change.

I do not see how it is even possible for the ICAI to take such far reaching decisions regarding the examination which is slated just about amonth away, when the students are almost in the final phase of their preparations. How is it possible for the students to adapt to such changes, especially on the issue of every question being compulsory in nature?

Is the committee out of its mind? Or just because the committee thinks that after all they are dealing with CA students, who cannot organise themselves, like students pursuing other professional courses like medicine, engineering or law,  for any form of protest against such blatantly unilateral, legally untenable decisions taken with abject non-application of mind? What kind of temerity is this to announce it on Oct 1st for the Nov examination and brazenly adding that "Students may note that the first paragraph of this announcement is in addition to the announcement already published in the October, 2009 issue of the students’ newsletter – The Chartered Accountant Student".

No other professional educational institution, which runs predominantly on students' money would attempt to do something like this. And what a funny preamble? "CA course being a professional course, practical training is an essential part..." We didn't know this all these years and neither did the students! If giving 'practical training' any importance, why does not the ICAI think of introducing something like 'internal assessment' by the principals?

When such 'wisdom' has suddenly dawned on the council or the committee, as the case may be, I will ask you all only one question. Is any one of you prepared to take the examination once again even under the easier norms that were prevailing when all of you wrote the examinations?

My indignation on the committee's insensitivity is so much that I do not wish to make any appeals. Therefore I demand that such ridiculous, mindless changes be not done in the eleventh hour. If at all you want to make any changes, prepare the students well in advance and take the student community in to confidence and do them.

I hope correct wisdom prevails and the ICAI corrects its course, well in time.

Regards

Prabhakar

Unless you guys raise your voice in protest such mindless madnesses will continue to be unleashed on to you by the powers that be. Please at least urge your coaching class teachers who you think to be close to you to raise appropriate din.