Easy Office
LCI Learning

English matters less..

Page no : 3

CA Ravi Sisodia (CA,CS,CMA) (32226 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

Originally posted by : Aldrine

Originally posted by : CA Ravi sisodia , ACA. LCS.

Originally posted by : Ankur Garg

If one can not understand your views expressed in English; than it is his/her bad luck or misfortune.  Poor other person who failed to understand you.

in pushkar were even vendors  talking in english with foreign tourist. there are not experts in english but they can sell their products to foreign tourist by speaking english. 

so its not important to expert in english but u should have the expertise in selling ur product.

even 60 years old person wearing dhoti & kurta is able to speak in english with foreigners only to sell his product  he is not expert in english but able to sell his products.

With the skill of English (only) he made the success...so we can make more success by the added advantage of skill in English...

Agree...   Yes they are telling in english but they are not expert in english. 

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)   (114773 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

Originally posted by : CA Ravi sisodia , ACA. LCS.

If one can not understand your views expressed in English; than it is his/her bad luck or misfortune.  Poor other person who failed to understand you.

in pushkar were even vendors  talking in english with foreign tourist. there are not experts in english but they can sell their products to foreign tourist by speaking english. 

so its not important to expert in english but u should have the expertise in selling ur product.

even 60 years old person wearing dhoti & kurta is able to speak in english with foreigners only to sell his product  he is not expert in english but able to sell his products.

With the skill of English (only) he made the success...so we can make more success by the added advantage of skill in English...

That's exactly my point. 

Skill of English Vs. Skill in English---Very well used words Aldrine.

1 Like

Replied 15 March 2010

The people living in Puskhar ( Rajasthan ) speaks in english. Their english is poor but they speaks it only because they have to earn money. Even vendors of puskhar speaks in english. But when Indians visits puskhar they speaks in hindi only not in english. So only for foreigners they speaks English. Accordingly in our professional life when some clients speaks with us in Hindi then we have speak with them in Hindi. If some clients speaks in marwari with us then we have to speak with them in Marwari. If some clients speaks in english with us then we have to speak with them in english. So it is just like Jaisa desh vaisa vesh ".

1 Like

Replied 15 March 2010

Originally posted by : CA SURENDRA KUMAR RAKHECHA

A reasonable knowledge of English is sufficient.

If one can understand your views expressed in English; it is sufficient for success. 

It does not mean that I am in favour of poor English. 

For CA, as rightly said by Aldrine, analytical skills is a must.

Otherwise those who are excellent in English Literature must be found at the top level of the Corporate World !

If you give lecture in ornamental English; nobody will listen because it is not understood by mass.

Practically we see on TV that most successful persons are not so excellent in English. 

For CA an expert knowledge about the subject is a must which comes from practical exposure.

In my opinion; one should regularly develop his skills - whatever is the area - whether command over subjects or communication skills in English. This is the success key in CA profession.

Totally disagree with the first line. This is what we called defensive approach/escape route and nothing else.

Disagree... , I think this is not a defensive approach/escaperoute   but it is practical think.

Replied 15 March 2010

People of Pushkar Vs CA professionals..................the expectancy level of English is different for these two category.
We can not learn all the languages in the world to speak...we have human limitation......In a corporate structure, business meeting may be in English (common) - we have to face a lot of other situations also.........so we should have acquire the command over English to face that situation also....we will not be a failure.
We can not behave to others as they like (can be...........it is to get the advantage by making other a fool)....we have our own personality............

Please dont compare People of Pushkar Vs CA professionals. it is a just example.

Venkat (Accountant) (48 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

Success in life:

English (infact qualification also) is not required... There are many examples we can give to substantiate this argument....

Success in professional life:

Command over English ...... Definitely it is required.... If we want to give examples for people do not have command over English are practicing as professionals, well they are serving to the common man, to the small industries as tax consultant etc.... But to achieve the heights in corporate world, there are not much examples to give, isn’t it???

Replied 15 March 2010

People of Pushkar Vs CA professionals..................the expectancy level of English is different for these two category.
We can not learn all the languages in the world to speak...we have human limitation......In a corporate structure, business meeting may be in English (common) - we have to face a lot of other situations also.........so we should have acquire the command over English to face that situation also....we will not be a failure.
We can not behave to others as they like (can be...........it is to get the advantage by making other a fool)....we have our own personality............

Please dont compare People of Pushkar Vs CA professionals. it is a just example.

Shobha Maheshwari (M.Com CA final Student & CS final Student)   (103 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

We were discussing about the importance of command over language in CA profession....u only given the example as connecting Importance of English with Pushkar people...........
So i was pointing out that the expectancy level is different....so that example is not at all relevant here............

It is not the question of people of pushkar v. CA professionals. It is just an example. I had lived at puskhar for more than 15 days. I observed that people speaks that language only what other person can understand. The vendors of pushkar had speak with me in English language because of my brown hair they thought I am foreigner. But with my cousin they were talking in Hindi. The important thing is they know how to do marketing & sell the products. It is not important whether you had studied in Hindi medium or other medium. Only one thing is important you should possess the knowledge. I had studied through out in English medium but it is not important that I should speak with everyone in English. In a factory where workers are working & if you speak with them in English eventhough you know that they all knows only the local language then I think you does not know the human psychology. In most of companies all business meeting is not held in English. The contents of meeting is in English but the discussion between the parties take place in language which is prevailing in that state or in hindi or English. If you go in South India the people speaks only English. So naturally all companies in south conducting their meetings with client in English. If you go in Gujarat people speaks in gujarati only. They are handling their clients of their company in gujarati. IN THIS WORLD KNOWLEDGE MATTERS & THE SUCCESS YOU ACHIEVED IN YOUR LIFE MATTERS. 

1 Like

Monika Bachhawat (Chartered Accountant) (211 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

Shinoj u r doing wrong interpretation of English language & CA profession. I agree with u that 3rd rank holder must be weak in English but have u given a thought that even if he is weak in English he attempted his exams in English & secured 3rd Rank. getting 3rd rank is not a easy job, its a very big achievement.

Students with good command over English were not able to pass in CA Exams. Just judging a person with his communication skills a very wrong thing. 3rd ranker must be not able to answer back in English properly but he has ability to understand English completely otherwiase he woud have not able to understand the Question Papers & CA Syllabus.

CA SURENDRA KUMAR RAKHECHA has righly said & dont ever judge an person just on 1 particular skill. People working in BPO's have very good fluent English can u tell me what has these people achieved

1 Like

Replied 15 March 2010

Originally posted by : Now I M Also Fighter

Shinoj u r doing wrong interpretation of English language & CA profession. I agree with u that 3rd rank holder must be weak in English but have u given a thought that even if he is weak in English he attempted his exams in English & secured 3rd Rank. getting 3rd rank is not a easy job, its a very big achievement.

Students with good command over English were not able to pass in CA Exams. Just judging a person with his communication skills a very wrong thing. 3rd ranker must be not able to answer back in English properly but he has ability to understand English completely otherwiase he woud have not able to understand the Question Papers & CA Syllabus.

CA SURENDRA KUMAR RAKHECHA has righly said & dont ever judge an person just on 1 particular skill. People working in BPO's have very good fluent English can u tell me what has these people achieved

100 % Agree with you.

Thinking is Just waste of time (Corporate Accounts) (68 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

Originally posted by : Now I M Also Fighter

Hey friend i think the topic is on "whether the English mattered less or more"...

Not on that particular 3rd rank person..

oh k..

Imagine the 3rd Rank holder has got the excellent oppurtunity to work or Audit for a MNC company with good pay..( sorry for using 3rd Rank person)..

In what language he will communicate with his boss who knows only english (most of the
MNC Chairmans are like that) or in his mother language??? or else he should have a language translator with him always..Not only in MNC even in government sectors too..

Hey people after completing the CA with 3rd rank is not just passing a degree exams...

The standard of the people will increase a lot .. where English plays a vital role...

What the 3rd rank guy acheived is not easy one but it should be capitalized because people are expecting more outputs from him..

See as i said earlier its like a license (english) though you know to drive (knowledge) exceptionally you cant go ahead without it (career)...

2 Like

Replied 15 March 2010

Mr. Aldrine the real fact is that in offices only work matters not the language. The boss will see how much you work for them. The boss will see how much you are profitable for the company, they are not going to see the language. The ability how you can handle the clients matters not the language you used. If you can speak english fluently in front of 50 peoples then it matters. If you know the English but cannot speak in front of 50 people then it is of no use. So only SELF- CONFIDENCE MATTERS NOT THE LANGUAGE WE SPEAK. Thatswhy I had written IN THIS WORLD KNOWLEDGE MATTERS & THE SUCCESS YOU ACHIEVED IN YOUR LIFE MATTERS. Everyone is not  perfect in this world. Everybody has some weaknesses. If someone wants to improve their weaknesses then we should give them time. If someone is weak in English speaking then he can improve his weakness in short period of time. If you have the self-confidence then success comes automatically. To earn huge amount of money is not important in our life but to become faithful to our Company & Institute is more important.

1 Like

Thinking is Just waste of time (Corporate Accounts) (68 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

Hey Shoba friend

Am not saying that only english is going to be a major key in the sucess...

But in few instances it Glitters...

There is a probablitiy of losing your confidence.. Suppose Your attending a Board meeting ,  In front you people are speaking in English and you dont...and, 

Officials presented there don no your language other than English...

In this aspect only you need a translator for communication which is not a good standard for CA professions....

There might be some people who dosent know english or not good with english have succeded  but thats in the past ..

In Modern time... People excepts all kinds of knowledge from you other than your studies . Every knowledge is necessary to survive in this competiting world...

2 Like

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)   (114773 Points)
Replied 15 March 2010

Ms. Shobha,

This is your mis-conception that in office 'only' knowledge matters. The truth is that one negative comment about your weak communication skills even from a simple trainee may destroy your knowledge confidence. You are saying this as you are far away from senior level of management and reality.

Regards

2 Like

Replied 15 March 2010

Originally posted by : Thinking is Just waste of time

Hey Shoba friend

Am not saying that only english is going to be a major key in the sucess...

But in few instances it is also Glitters...

There is a probablitiy of losing your confidence.. Suppose Your attending a Board meeting ,  In front you people are speaking in English and you dont...and, 

Officials presented there don no your language other than English...

In this aspect only you need a translator for communication which is not a good standard for CA professions....

There might be some people who dosent know english or not good with english have succeded  but thats in the past ..

In Modern time... People excepts all kinds of knowledge from you other than your studies . Every knowledge is necessary to survive in this competiting world...

Dear friend thatswhy I had written  "Everyone is not  perfect in this world. Everybody has some weaknesses. If someone wants to improve their weaknesses then we should give them time. If someone is weak in English speaking then he can improve his weakness in short period of time.If you have the self-confidence then success comes automatically."

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: