Reminder mail from tax office

Rakshaaas (student) (25 Points)

13 March 2016  

Hi,

I am a student pursuing PhD in Europe since 2012. I have only filed my IT returns once for AY-2013-2014 when I was working for short duration. I have been a NRI since then including for AY-2014-2015. I had zero income in India in the particular year FY 2013-2014. I receive scholarhsip here for my education. I did not file returns in India, as I was not earning anything. However, I received the following reminder mail from the Tax dept.  Does this mean I need to file return ? Thanks a lot.

"We notice that you have not e-filed your Income Tax Return for AY 2014-15. This is a gentle reminder since 31st March 2016 is the last date to file your Income Tax Return for AY 2014-15. E-file early to avoid the last minute rush.

You are, therefore, kindly requested to login to https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and download the free return preparation software with a host of new features to help you in preparing the Income Tax return and submit your return. Please take some time to browse through all the value –added services offered on the E-filing website that will help you prepare your return accurately and guide you in case of any prior pending items.

The Department will monitor compliance in this regard and may initiate necessary follow-up action in case of any default.

In case you have already e-Filed for Income Tax Return for AY 2014-15, kindly ignore this email."