Please be kind to your parents and elders !!!

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)   (114773 Points)

15 June 2013  

Dear All,  (June 15, 2013)

Today I have come across shocking news regarding “Elder abuse.”

Recently a report on “Elder Abuse in India” was released by HelpAge India, a leading charitable organisation working with older people in India for 35 years, and revealed some disturbing findings about the state of elders in the country. https://www.helpageindia.org

As per the report more than one-fifth of the elderly, i.e. 23 per cent, say they have experienced abuse, with a majority of them not reporting it fearing backlash from their family.

More than 4/5 of the elderly live with their family. A majority of elders say they have faced ill-treatment at the hands of their sons or daughters-in-law, with figures standing at 38 and 39 per cent respectively. An alarming 39 per cent of the elderly abused faced physical abuse in the form of beating or slapping.

Shockingly, 70 per cent of those abused did not report the matter, stating the importance of confidentiality of family matters and the fear or retaliation as major reasons.

Tier I and tier II cities

Madurai and Kanpur have recorded the highest levels of elder abuse, at 63 per cent and 60 per cent respectively. Among tier I cities, Hyderabad emerged with the highest rate of elder abuse (37.5 per cent), followed by Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai.

Around 70 per cent of the elderly were aware of the police helpline, while 17.67 per cent knew about the HelpAge India Elder Helpline. Only 11 per cent were aware of the Senior Citizens Act.

Lack of adjustment, economic dependence of the abused and increasing longevity were the major reasons cited by the elderly for the prevalence of elder abuse. The most effective mechanisms suggested by the elderly to deal with elder abuse included sensitising children, strengthening inter-generational bonding and increasing economic independence.

How could we do this?

My question is how could we do this to our parents?

As per my understanding abusing our elders and old people is one of the biggest crimes prevalent in the Country. This should be treated as a very serious crime and should be put in the crime category of Rape and women abuse etc.

Parents have sacrificed their life for the betterment of their children, for their education, for their healthy and happy life and at the end when they need the support of their children, they leave them alone or start abusing them, beating or slapping them. This is simply disgusting.

My message to such children would be please grow up guys and respect your parents as they are equal to God.

Thanks

Reference: The Hindu, leading English daily.