Details of No. Portability 20 Jan 2011

Manmohan ACA, CS (Chartered Accountant ) (14243 Points)

16 January 2011  

It is the time, from 20th January, 2011 onwards you will be able to switch you mobile operators without changing your number. In this post I will talking about this service which is sure to get introduced from 20th January onwards and what are the formalities which are supposed to be done if you want to change your service operator.

Let me tell you all the formalities which you will have to do if you want to change your service provider when this new service starts. You can see the image right above this paragraph, you must have got an idea by looking at it that what are formalities which you are supposed to follow. But I will be explaining that to you and there are certain questions in the mind of people which will remain unanswered. Let me start with the formalities:-

1. First of all you have to SMS the PORT<your mobile number> to 1900.
  2. After performing the first step you will receive a unique porting number which will help you to port your number.
  3. SMS that unique port number to your preferred service provider to port your number to that service provider and let me tell you that unique number is valid for few days.
  4. Now your exisiting operator will check the any dues or any other facts which may be restricting you to port the number. After they clear your number you can change your number to the other desired service provider.
  5. Now after this you will receive an SMS from the new service provider which will tell you that date and the time of that porting session. This will be done in the next 4 days after applying for this service.
  6. You phone will be dead for 2 hours while the porting is being performed of your mobile number. You will have to spend Rs. 19/- and submit the required documents to the service provider to avail this feature.