Ahmedabad boy tops CA final

Aisha (Finance Professional) (7672 Points)

17 January 2008  
At the HSC exams he narrowly missed it. In college, in his graduating year it was a classic tale of so near yet so far. He never lost hope or persistence though and it finally paid off, and that too in one of the most difficult courses in the country. Dhaval Navinchandra Vohera came first in the merit list of the Chartered Accountants Final Profession Education Examination held in November 2007, claiming the number one spot that had been eluding him for so long at other exams.

Dhaval, a resident of Gandhi Road in the walled city, says, "In HSC I came seventh and in my graduation year, I stood second in the university, but was never very happy. This time though I came first in the country and I am delighted beyond words."

The CA Final Exam is divided into two groups of four examination papers each and most students opt to give them separately. But Dhaval appeared for all the papers at one go, and secured a total of 582 out of 800 marks in the exam.

"Yes, giving the two groups separately is very common but if you do so, then you lose the chance to be on the merit list. I gave them together and was expecting to be among the top five but coming first was beyond my expectation."

His beaming parents attribute their son's success to his dedication and blessings of God. Navinchandra Vohera, a textile shop owner says, "Before checking the result we prayed and sought blessings from God. But needless to say, his tremendous hard work was always there with him."

The H L College of Commerce alumnus has also managed to complete the CA course pretty quick. He is nearing completion of a two-and-a-half year articleship after his CA Inter exams, a necessary prerequisite for becoming a Chartered Accountant. "It was a lot of hard work. For the last six months before the exams, I studied for 13-14 hours every day," he says.

His future plans include looking for a job in the corporate sector both in India and abroad but this is not his final goal. "Five to six years down the line I want to start my own consultancy firm," he says, and needless to say, when he does that, his immense capacity for hard work and academic accomplishments will come in very handy.