80DDB - Authentic source (link) to show private Dr.prescription/certificate is sufficient for IT

Ars (Manager) (44 Points)

25 March 2021  

Dear tax experts,

My mother(senior citizen) suffers from Parkinson's disease. We are consulting private hospital for the treatment and also taking care of her at home.

I had come to know of 80DDB and that Parkinson's disease expenses is covered as part of that section. However I am told by my finance person that I need to produce Govt hospital certificate to claim. Which I am not able to, since I go for a private hospital Neurologist/treatment. I can get the private Neurologist cert. However finance person mentioned that it is the govt rule to get the govt hospital certificate and that we cannot trust cleartax website etc, which mentions that private neurologist cert is sufficient. So...

Can someone provide me with an authentic source of information (preferably income tax or govt website or GO etc) that shows that private Neurologist certificate is sufficient for 80DDB claim for Parkinson's?

I can share your expert response to my finance team to consult again. That will be more trustworthy coming from CAClub experts.

Thanks in advance...