Easy Office
LCI Learning

Income tax applicability on Bank interest earned in saving

Page no : 2

Mukesh Kumar Singh (CA-FINAL) (4094 Points)
Replied 05 July 2011

Agreed with the views of other members........

A K Jain (Service) (160 Points)
Replied 06 July 2011

Please refer to my query regarding applicability of tax on interest earned thru saving & RD a/cs.Two same replies were received from a Private Bank stating that it is non taxable. Then again I wrote them to confirm from their CA otherwise I will refer to Income Tax deptt. Their third reply states that

"As confirmation received and as informed to you in earlier mail, interest earned through savings account and Recurring Deposit (RD) account is exempted for tax."

How to deal with these fellows who are misleading the customers?

U S Sharma (glidor@gmail.com) (21056 Points)
Replied 07 July 2011

Originally posted by : A K Jain

Please refer to my query regarding applicability of tax on interest earned thru saving & RD a/cs.Two same replies were received from a Private Bank stating that it is non taxable. Then again I wrote them to confirm from their CA otherwise I will refer to Income Tax deptt. Their third reply states that

"As confirmation received and as informed to you in earlier mail, interest earned through savings account and Recurring Deposit (RD) account is exempted for tax."

How to deal with these fellows who are misleading the customers?

they are neither making fool nor misleading anybody, 

as a depositor / account holder you are asking your tax query to banker, and as per their banking incometax they are not eligible to deduct incometax on RD/SB, so their reply is 100% correct.

they are neither aware of your taxable income, nor the ITR filing status of yourself, how they can comment on the issues which is not in their juridiction, but the query was related to "banks role of incometax ( deduction and payment above the exemption limit) on the deposits in various schemes, and they have replied correct that they are not eligible to deal with SB/RD, irts exempted from incometax on banking operations.

how they can ascertain the taxability? say you have only savings bank interest of 5 Lacs, and no other income at all, still they can not deduct, but you will get 1.6 ( 1.8L for this year) exemption automatic for your threshold limit. balance only is available for taxation as per your criteria,

asking the right question at wrong place and then pointing fingers on them is not a good practice. 

1 Like

A K Jain (Service) (160 Points)
Replied 07 July 2011

Thanks to alll of u. I also know that it is taxable but when they are saying to customers that it is not taxable ,may be to increase no. of a/cs ? Here is my objection because a common man may not show interest in his taxable income & this lead to trouble in future. They never explain in this way.in their three replies also I also know that TDS is applicable on FDs.

A_B_B (Compliance) (55 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

Hello - While filing my ITR online, I missed mentioning my intrest incoime from savings account (above 10K). Would it be advisible for me to file the ITR again (before July 31st)  ? Would it attaract any special attention of AO, seeing why return has been filled twice for same AY within 10 days ?

Regards

MUKESH SHARMA (B.Com , MBA, CS*) (108 Points)
Replied 29 July 2012

AB

You have to file Revise Return.. before Ist Aug..

DHARMENDRA SHARMA (Senior staff) (444 Points)
Replied 29 July 2012

Interest from saving bank account is taxable under the head "Income from other sources"

Form 15G/15H are for exemption from TDS deduction.

They can't exempt your income from Income tax.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: