Easy Office
Easy Office

Coaching-Boon or Bane?

Page no : 3

Vidhyashankar (CA) (1292 Points)
Replied 01 July 2009

Originally posted by :Krunal Raichura
" I agree to the views posted by MANI VGS.

I would like to add, that ours being a correspondence course, there is an inherent drawback.

I feel, if we meet more people, if there are discussions/debates/sharing of knowledge we will be able to sharpen our skillsets. This also gives opportunity to improve communication skills, interpersonal skills and we get to learn many new things.

I have attended classes earlier. I could meet quite a lot of people from different backgrounds there, from big 4, from small firms, form mid size firms, from different locations etc. A lot of knowledge sharing took place and some of us are good friends and that knowledge sharing has continued. In this way one can help each other. MBA students seemed to be more polished for one reason and that has somewhat to do with knowledge sharing/debates/presentations etc between students. In good bschools, we have people from Industry coming every now and then for seminars/visits. This trend is seen in some of the CA classes in my town as well.

Everything has its own pros and cons.

I agree to Vidhyashankar's views as well. He is right in a very big way in mentioning about student's attitude and thinking. It is definitely true that some students want to attend clases just for the sake of it or for illogical reasons as discussed by Vidhyashankar. Also he is right in mentioning that some of the teachers are quite egoistic/unsupprtive.

I am sure this whole discussion is an enlightening one for all of us and I hope that next time we decide to join classes, we would be in a position to make a better decision.
"

Your points are very valid.

1. If the classes are held more for understanding and mild and moderated debate considering time-factor for this exam and lot of portions, then it would be useful.

2. It is a good place to network positively.However, this shuld be taken with salt.Most people get negatively influenced by other students or tend to join cozy clubs of "CA- is- tough- to- pass- and- needs- many- attempts to even clear"

3. MBA differs essentially from CA inasmuchas incorporating debates and discussions into course curicullum itself, whereas in a conservative profession like Accounting such things have been traditionally frowned(later only to be realized what a detriment it was in the first place).

4. Our course being a correspondence course is not really an inherent drawback as such because the study materials have been prepared well except for a couple of subjects and there are lof ot resources these days by ay of excellent coaching materials.However, yes, I accept your point of being left high and dry and feeling isolated in the course.

5. Basic understanding can be honed in the class.There is no doubt about this, provided the teacher touches upon the fundamental concepts well and also broaches upon intricasies too.However, I find many CA final profs saying, "Lets skip it you have already covered this in IPCC/PCC/Inter, you are now final students"This is pure escapism on the part of such teachers and even CA final students might not remember well what they learnt in a previous course.There is no harm in brushing things up fast.

6. Other positive points mentioned in my original post hold water for attending a coaching class.

I again repeat here that students should be prudent in taking decisions and never err saying that "it is prudent to study all subjects by self alone"

(Guest)

wow!!! vidhyashankarjiiii i bow to you is all i can say u have aptly repliedto that -veperson vgsmani...thanksis a small word forwhat u are doing for us....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: