Easy Office
Easy Office

Coaching-Boon or Bane?

Page no : 2

Vidhyashankar (CA) (1292 Points)
Replied 30 June 2009

Originally posted by :Lekshmi
" Your postings rock, friend.Thanks a lot for making yourself available in spite of your hecticschedules.Your writings can touch people's heart. And please dont stop them. Because some where people are in need for that.

And one doubt about the book of Pattabhi Sir, friend. I had read of one his books- Advantage CA ( Snowwhite Publications). Is this a new one?I too had the "fortune" to attend one Landmark's class.But as you know, he will go through one problem and said the classic dialogue of" we will go through this one and the rest of the problems you can do it on your own!!!"

By the way, i had added you as a friend, but havent got a reply to that request.

You are half Mallu no?appo malayalam ariyam allo alley? appo enney friend aa add pannunko nanpa.

Budhimuttu illacha email id onnu tharu.
waiting for your next post.
Alvida,
Lekshmi.
"

Lekshmi,

Kandathil santhosham

Penne enthaa? Aaa enakki Malayalam Ariyum

I have accepted your friendship and so have I for all who have added me.Valliya sandhoshamaayi!

The admin has featured me in the front page which came in as a pleaseant surprise! Atleast many students would read my postings,views,etc

Email ID yeah,jnaan mappu chothikkunnu, I will create one for this forum and give it to students,please be patient.I keep my identity under wraps and create a big smokescreen and yes, it serves a purpose too.Many students keep thinking, who this person is, why and how does he do it? AND exactly thats what I want.These postings will have to act in the mind and a "secret" a "sensation" a "mystery" will act as a psychological driver amongst all to sit and think what Im telling.

Poyivaraam!

1 Like

Replied 30 June 2009

Originally posted by :mayank
" sir the article was gr8...
can you please refer me the financial management book for PCC
"

My best choice would be :Padhukas+Study Material+Super Scanner combo

You can also choose: ANSridhar's main book+Problems and solutions by the same author+Study material+Super Scanner(with solutions that is)

CA Alok Modak (CA in Practice) (595 Points)
Replied 30 June 2009

Originally posted By Vidhyashankar

"Dont get me wrong.Im not saying Coaching classes are a waste. I would err if I say so.Also, I have mentioned honestly that I too took coaching classes.I just wanted to emphasize the fact that one should not blindly rush to attend classes.One must check various factors(mentioned in the posting) and then maybe attend a couple(say Accounting/Costing/StrategicMgmt) and to stay motivated.If you have lots of motivation and discipline, then absolutely no caoching is necessary.Some amount of alertness is required.I would not term it as clinical paranoia but alertness, and this alertness is triggered when you take the pains to attend one or two classes.More than that would be over-kill, lesser than this would lead to lethargy or a happy-go-lucky attitude to the detriment mentioned in the post.Im saying this for your future Final prep not the IPCC exam you are going to take for which you took classes and dropped 3."

Dear Sir,

I didnt mean that way, What i meant was for pcc i felt that the teacher was wasting too much time  checking homework of students and sending the defaulters back home..that too when the Tution duration was one Hour daily...so i opted out and did self study...

Now i have given Pcc exams and i sure of clearing both groups: And thanks to u, i have already started preparing for Mics/icsa syllabus form rite now itself...and hopefully i can finish it before the results are out

About the article, all i can say that u have made very true comments, 

Keep posting such articles sir,

Thanks a bunch.

"

saurabh (CA) (552 Points)
Replied 30 June 2009

gud info dude..

CA.Sridevi (Partner) (878 Points)
Replied 30 June 2009

Hi Vidyashanker,

Your article is so nice. I am also interested to share my Coaching experience here.

ACCOUNTS - I have attended MPV Sir class. He is one of the good teacher in the world. I love his way of teaching. So NO COMMENTS

MAFA - I have attended L.Muralidharan class. i have joined week end class. Class is held only for 72 hours. The students who loves movie will love his class also. beacuse he is not taking class. just he is just showing powerpoint presentation and explaining (Sorry just reading) the contents and tell us to copy it. I did this job very well. just i copied the notes from powerpoint and paste it in my note. Nothing goes into my mind. After 1 Month i forgot everthing. (I bought Pattabhi book and did self study)

AUDITING - I did self study.

CLSP - i attended Jayaraman class. He is taking class very well. But personally i hate him. He is taking class all over the INDIA. The problem is the duration of class is only 10 days. Timing - Morning - 6 to 9 and Evening - 5 to 9. his class started on March end. That time i am so busy with bank audit and my friends also busy with stock audit and bank audit. I had travelled 15 KMS from my home for attend class in the morning . I had travelled 20 - 25 kms for going to bank and then again i had started at 3.30 for class. I had returned home only at 10 and again woke up at 5 . So i had run very fast on those 10 days. but Nothing goes into my mind. (I bought Munish Bandari book and did self study)

Replied 30 June 2009

COSTING - I had attended Saravana Prasad class. He is good teacher. I love his class also. But the drawback is he could always solve only easy problem in the class. So class room problems would never helps to clear the exam. we have to do self study.

MICS -  Self study

Direct Tax - i had attended G.Sekar class. Actually there is no need to attend the tax class because already we have the basic knowledge in PCC level. Money minded people are introduced stupid scheme . That is The studends should join TWO classes. so for attending saravana prasad costing class i had joined Sekar class also. There is nothing there to tell about him. Simply tells he is not a teacher. He is money minded person. He is very good and intelligent business man,

Indirect Tax - I had attended Vaithesswaran class. he took class very well. But mistake is only with me. Am not attended his class effectively. (I bought Ajay Jain book and did self Study)

Replied 30 June 2009

So Classes are helped me only for knowing the syllabus of the course. NOTHING ELSE. So students think twice before joining the class.

Thanks Vidhya shanker for wonderfull articles.

Replied 01 July 2009

Originally posted by :Sridevi
" Hi Vidyashanker,
Your article is so nice. I am also interested to share my Coaching experience here.
ACCOUNTS - I have attended MPV Sir class. He is one of the good teacher in the world. I love his way of teaching. So NO COMMENTS
MAFA - I have attended L.Muralidharan class. i have joined week end class. Class is held only for 72 hours. The students who loves movie will love his class also. beacuse he is not taking class. just he is just showing powerpoint presentation and explaining (Sorry just reading) the contents and tell us to copy it. I did this job very well. just i copied the notes from powerpoint and paste it in my note. Nothing goes into my mind. After 1 Month i forgot everthing. (I bought Pattabhi book and did self study)
AUDITING - I did self study.
CLSP - i attended Jayaraman class. He is taking class very well. But personally i hate him. He is taking class all over the INDIA. The problem is the duration of class is only 10 days. Timing - Morning - 6 to 9 and Evening - 5 to 9. his class started on March end. That time i am so busy with bank audit and my friends also busy with stock audit and bank audit. I had travelled 15 KMS from my home for attend class in the morning . I had travelled 20 - 25 kms for going to bank and then again i had started at 3.30 for class. I had returned home only at 10 and again woke up at 5 . So i had run very fast on those 10 days. but Nothing goes into my mind. (I bought Munish Bandari book and did self study)
"

Whom do you think I meant when I talked about LM? in my posting.....

I had initially given a comment earlier on Aisha's posting but later withdrew it as I dont want to do mudslinging on anyone as such but this posting I intended to do some justice.

I never knew he has started powerpoint slides and finishes the class like that.

Saravana Prasad's books are good.G.Sekar is a nice and intelligent business man as you say and has made good money from this boy also.But that does not mean he is fraud.He is a good teacher is what I heard.Problem is for CA final you dont really need Direct taxes coaching.

P.Vijaykumar is really good teacher and a niceman by heart.His is hardwork wins the game sort of principles.All step methods....I got tutored under him but got notes free from other teachers by exchanging and saw what LM,Nagarajan and other teachers were upto.

Accounting if one was strong in Holding, Valuation and Amalgamations chapter those days it was easy.Accounting stads were ther ebut not as stressful as today.

Vaitheeswaran notes were good.Govindan class was good but notes though seems like good, had lot of mistakes.i attended copuple of govindan's classes in institute.Indorect taxes was just self study from VS Datey those days with study material for guidance(never used study material for direct and indirect taxes much)....

MAFA with pattabhi is super....but if u get caught up in last row seats it becomes difficult to see what is going on(in those days it was one kesari high school where prime academy classes were held)

2 Like

CA. Shikha (Chartered Accountant) (4143 Points)
Replied 01 July 2009

Hi Vidhyashankar !

Tha article was gr8. Keep posting such articles.

Thanx

Sumit Jain (CA) (4760 Points)
Replied 01 July 2009

thanx for sharing

Mani VGS (Teacher) (729 Points)
Replied 01 July 2009

Dear Friends, Since I am also a teacher, I thought I could share this. If it is ok, then take it. Otherwise, simply ignore: First of all very happy to see the posting of Mr. Vidhya sankar sir in forum of CA Club India. He has a good idea that whatever he tells it will be right and people will appeciate him and ask his mail id. Why we should go for coaching? I will tell you some example. Imagine, by giving advice or preaching, if a person or his life can change would mean, better I would go to all the prisons in India (or World). I will give 1 hour of preaching or advice? Will all the thief, terrorists, etc will change themselves? Is it not a foolish to think that by giving advice others will change? We cannot change anybody in this world. Everybody who wants to change should realise about themselves. They should have an urge to change themselves. They should have perserverance. Similarly, by attending classes, a student cannot get 500 out of 100 or he cannot become knowledegable of all the information in this world. Being a teacher, i cannot tell that I know everything. I am also learning certain things every second. Everybody is learning in this world new things every second. So, a student who is attending class, should know that, by attending classes, he cannot secure 500 out of 100 (I also know only you can get 100 out of 100). Once class is over, you should try problems at your home or you should study at your home. Take for example a topic by name "Single Entry". In this topic, this moment i can give 1,000 problems. But please tell me from your heart, is it possible to solve 1,000 problems for Single Entry topic inside a class? If 1,000 problems I have to solve would mean, for Single Entry topic I have to spend 6 months (one separate batch). Then if i spend this much time for one topic, what will I do for remaining 15 (approximately) topics? Mind that students once they attend classes, they should not have the view that "They will clear the exam by getting 500 out of 100." The purpose of attending class is to reduce the burden of understanding the preamble about the topic, some intricate issues etc. at home. Rest of the work, students should try at their home. So many mistakes are there in ICAI material and suggested answers. In order to avoid all these things only, students should attend classes. Otherwise, no need for coaching for CA. Understood? Some people in this forum commented and criticised about some great teacher. Before commenting about your teachers, first of all try to correct yourself. More than that, dont judge others. Others are judging you, mind that. So Change yourself. Dont try to change others. Some people told, teachers are coming late. Even if they come late, they are solving only one problem and rest of the problem they ask students to solve at their home, teacher is taking 10 hours classes etc. I accept certain mistakes are being committed by certain teachers. Just because, one police official is doing something wrong, can you generalise every police is worst in this world? I will tell about the attitude of some students (not all). They have an idea of attending class only for one month. In that month class should be daily for only one hour. Saturday and Sunday should be holiday. Within one month all subjects should be completed, by explaining maximum theory, including 100 tests, solving 10,000 problems inside the class. So dont generalise that all teachers are like this, that, X, Y, Z etc. Try to change your mistakes my dear friends. To conclude, purpose of attending class is to reduce the burden of understanding the basis knowledge about the subject and some intricate issues only. Dont think you will become God by attending classes. Any finally, my humble request is "Dont judge your teachers and dont comment/criticise about everybody". Try to rectify certain mistakes done by you (students). Just because, forum is there, we should not write anything (to get appreciation, popularity, fame, name etc.) This is not a playground. If I told anything wrong, kindly excuse.. Yours Mani V G S
2 Like

ADITYA (CA PCC, B.COM) (637 Points)
Replied 01 July 2009

thanks

Krunal Raichura (Financial Advisory) (2134 Points)
Replied 01 July 2009

I agree to the views posted by MANI VGS.

I would like to add, that ours being a correspondence course, there is an inherent drawback.

I feel, if we meet more people, if there are discussions/debates/sharing of knowledge we will be able to sharpen our skillsets. This also gives opportunity to improve communication skills, interpersonal skills and we get to learn many new things.

I have attended classes earlier. I could meet quite a lot of people from different backgrounds there, from big 4, from small firms, form mid size firms, from different locations etc. A lot of knowledge sharing took place and some of us are good friends and that knowledge sharing has continued. In this way one can help each other. MBA students seemed to be more polished for one reason and that has somewhat to do with knowledge sharing/debates/presentations etc between students. In good bschools, we have people from Industry coming every now and then for seminars/visits. This trend is seen in some of the CA classes in my town as well.

Everything has its own pros and cons.

I agree to Vidhyashankar's views as well. He is right in a very big way in mentioning about student's attitude and thinking. It is definitely true that some students want to attend clases just for the sake of it or for illogical reasons as discussed by Vidhyashankar. Also he is right in mentioning that some of the teachers are quite egoistic/unsupprtive.

I am sure this whole discussion is an enlightening one for all of us and I hope that next time we decide to join classes, we would be in a position to make a better decision.

Replied 01 July 2009

Originally posted by :Mani VGS
" Dear Friends,

Since I am also a teacher, I thought I could share this. If it is ok, then take it. Otherwise, simply ignore:

First of all very happy to see the posting of Mr. Vidhya sankar sir in forum of CA Club India. He has a good idea that whatever he tells it will be right and people will appeciate him and ask his mail id.

Why we should go for coaching? I will tell you some example.

Imagine, by giving advice or preaching, if a person or his life can change would mean, better I would go to all the prisons in India (or World). I will give 1 hour of preaching or advice? Will all the thief, terrorists, etc will change themselves? Is it not a foolish to think that by giving advice others will change? We cannot change anybody in this world. Everybody who wants to change should realise about themselves. They should have an urge to change themselves. They should have perserverance.

Similarly, by attending classes, a student cannot get 500 out of 100 or he cannot become knowledegable of all the information in this world. Being a teacher, i cannot tell that I know everything. I am also learning certain things every second. Everybody is learning in this world new things every second. So, a student who is attending class, should know that, by attending classes, he cannot secure 500 out of 100 (I also know only you can get 100 out of 100). Once class is over, you should try problems at your home or you should study at your home.

Take for example a topic by name "Single Entry". In this topic, this moment i can give 1,000 problems. But please tell me from your heart, is it possible to solve 1,000 problems for Single Entry topic inside a class? If 1,000 problems I have to solve would mean, for Single Entry topic I have to spend 6 months (one separate batch). Then if i spend this much time for one topic, what will I do for remaining 15 (approximately) topics?

Mind that students once they attend classes, they should not have the view that "They will clear the exam by getting 500 out of 100." The purpose of attending class is to reduce the burden of understanding the preamble about the topic, some intricate issues etc. at home. Rest of the work, students should try at their home. So many mistakes are there in ICAI material and suggested answers. In order to avoid all these things only, students should attend classes. Otherwise, no need for coaching for CA. Understood?

Some people in this forum commented and criticised about some great teacher. Before commenting about your teachers, first of all try to correct yourself. More than that, dont judge others. Others are judging you, mind that. So Change yourself. Dont try to change others.

Some people told, teachers are coming late. Even if they come late, they are solving only one problem and rest of the problem they ask students to solve at their home, teacher is taking 10 hours classes etc. I accept certain mistakes are being committed by certain teachers. Just because, one police official is doing something wrong, can you generalise every police is worst in this world?

I will tell about the attitude of some students (not all). They have an idea of attending class only for one month. In that month class should be daily for only one hour. Saturday and Sunday should be holiday. Within one month all subjects should be completed, by explaining maximum theory, including 100 tests, solving 10,000 problems inside the class.

So dont generalise that all teachers are like this, that, X, Y, Z etc. Try to change your mistakes my dear friends.

To conclude, purpose of attending class is to reduce the burden of understanding the basis knowledge about the subject and some intricate issues only. Dont think you will become God by attending classes. Any finally, my humble request is "Dont judge your teachers and dont comment/criticise about everybody". Try to rectify certain mistakes done by you (students).

Just because, forum is there, we should not write anything (to get appreciation, popularity, fame, name etc.) This is not a playground.

If I told anything wrong, kindly excuse..

Yours

Mani V G S

"

Dear Mani 'Sirji' and students,

Your views are appreciated.With due respects to your age and wisdom, I begin the following reply:

At the outset I have to say, you display a nice joke in the end: "If I told anything wrong, kindly excuse..." Be bold in your thoughts and expressions, Man! Why backtrack when you believe what you have said is right? It is like saying after slapping someone,"Im sorry if I hurt you by slapping, kindly excuse me."It is as silly as that and not going to help except give a euphoric feeling that gentlemanly behaviour was adopted(when slapping is no gentlemanly behaviour in the first place)!

Let me point out certain logical fallacies in your argument.

But before that: Students! beware of such "teachers of India", who bring shame to our country despite roaming around in the garb of profesionality and sound reasoning.Even a culprit can be caught easily but not such "teachers" who mould students for the bad of our country.

Some clarifications:

1. Im not behind fame or name.If that be the case, I wont be wasting my time here and have lot of oher platforms to display my skills.

2. I would have come in my real name and given my Email ID.Even to the admin, I have not revealed anything despite them asking for my identity a couple of times.You may check with them.

3. Im not behind students to make them ask for my email ID as you cleverly put it.They do it because they are curious(and maybe inspired by my messages) and whether I give them or not is purely my discretion.Im not here for anyone's praises or reprimands.I conduct my affairs here anonymously and for the benefit of the mass who take my advices and profit from it and not an elite few who bear grudges with what I say.

4. I too am a teacher albeit for different subjects like SAP and Options and Futures kind of subjects.

5. This line of reasoning adopted by this "teacher" is called in logic: Ad hominem abusive or a subtle personal attack.

A personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive remarks for evidence when attacking another person's claim or claims. This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the attack is directed at the person making the claim and not the claim itself. The truth value of a claim is independent of the person making the claim. After all, no matter how repugnant an individual might be, he or she can still make true claims.

Not all ad Hominems are fallacious. In some cases, an individual's characteristics can have a bearing on the question of the veracity of her claims. For example, if someone is shown to be a pathological liar, then what he says can be considered to be unreliable. However, such attacks are weak, since even pathological liars might speak the truth on occasion.

In general, it is best to focus one's attention on the content of the claim and not on who made the claim. It is the content that determines the truth of the claim and not the characteristics of the person making the claim.

6. Nowhere, mind you nowhere, have I said in the posting, coaching is unnecessary.

Infact, I myself have attended coaching and also replied to one student back stating Im not against coaching.So, this "teacher's" statement  by you has been made out of a knee jerk reaction due to a feeling of insecurity because you are a teacher and feel threatened(ofcourse a natural retort would be to this--"Nay, I dont feel in any manner threatened by your posts.I just wanted to clarify.Many students still come to me"). I prefer calling a spade a spade.Straight-talking.Period.

7. If you are a teacher, it would be in the best interests for students to be helped by you in matters of subjects germane to the course rather than such a lengthy comment made to a post, which actually covered the entire gamut of both attending and non-attending coaching classes, to just put forth your two cents on the issue.I deem it personally only as a parade of your ego and nothing of practical merit to students.

Giving back your own "medicine"(which I refuse to accept anyways): "Just because a forum exists and someone has scribed something of a virtual anti-stance to what you are doing, you need not react strongly to it and that too on a personal level without knowing the person.This bepseaks of your human virtues to say the least and betrays your fragile ego as a teacher."

Now, coming to the logical fallacies in your comment:

First logical fallacy: "Imagine, by giving advice or preaching, if a person or his life can change would mean, better I would go to all the prisons in India (or World). I will give 1 hour of preaching or advice? Will all the thief, terrorists, etc will change themselves? Is it not a foolish to think that by giving advice others will change? We cannot change anybody in this world. Everybody who wants to change should realise about themselves. They should have an urge to change themselves. They should have perserverance"

This looks like a nice piece of logical argument with good emotional supportives injected.However, it is laced with pure and irreverent emotionality.

1. Im not giving any preaching or pulpit sermonizing,here.Advices, oh by God yes! Im giving for the benefit of students.(I dont care for Indianisms like "Its easy for anyone to give advices...blah blah blah..."

2. It is not foolish to think that by giving advice others will not change.Maybe not all might change.Maybe you might not accept(but naturally being a teacher yourself, and my scribes seem intimidating to your internal logic not to mention about your profession).Advices are like balms, when given with a true intention and not to just boss around.Advices make students think a thousand times before wasting their time and make them more productive.Advices with the right words have power.One word is sometimes enough to stir masses.

3. You say an urge must be created within the person to change...Good, this is fantastic.But how do you go about creating this "urge"? By asking him or her to meditate in a corner of a room? or by listening to sane advices or words? This is totally unsupported statement made in a hurry without thinking.

I would really appreciate if you really go to prisons and preach and try to change the prisoners there.A prison is also a Bodhi-tree and not some confinement area for robbers and goondas temporarily.Very few social organizations are bothered about the plight of prisoners in big jails and this creates a vicious cycle.You create even coaching centres like prisoner boot-camps so no use talking to guys like you!

Second logical fallacy: "Similarly, by attending classes, a student cannot get 500 out of 100 or he cannot become knowledegable of all the information in this world. Being a teacher, i cannot tell that I know everything. I am also learning certain things every second. Everybody is learning in this world new things every second. So, a student who is attending class, should know that, by attending classes, he cannot secure 500 out of 100 (I also know only you can get 100 out of 100). Once class is over, you should try problems at your home or you should study at your home."

1. The first logicall fallacy here is that of "special pleading":

Special Pleading is a fallacy in which a person applied applies standards, principles, rules, etc. to others while taking herself (or those she has a special interest in) to be exempt, without providing adequate justification for the exemption. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. Person A accepts standard(s) S and applies them to others in circumtance(s) C.
  2. Person A is in circumstance(s) C.
  3. Therefore A is exempt from S.

The person committing Special Pleading is claiming that he is exempt from certain principles or standards yet he provides no good reason for his exemption.

Putting it in plain terms. A teacher must know something to teach students, however he cannot know everything and still is learning and consequently, I who am a teacher special-plead here to be exempted from the duties of teaching well.An irrelevant detractor/argument given here is "Students can't get 500/100 anyways".This is absurd anyways and gets the agreement of the reader to subtly support the above special pleading.

Since, now Vidhyashankar has pried open this defect, students would see for themselves.I dont lose anything or gain anything here in all this.Im well qualified and well placed, mind you.It is all for students to think and thinking involves sound logical frames to enact upon not faulty arguments.

2. Many mistakes are there in study materials and the like issued by ICAI  and thus the need for coaching.

There are many diligent and time/money saving ways in which this issue(if at all this is a big issue) can be ameliorated.

a. The student can buy a reference book.

b. The student can make a note of all mistakes/doubts and get it clarified with another friend.

c. Intelligent application and commonsense itself solves many problems arising in the material.(These 2 traits cannot be taught perse in the coaching classes).

d. Laterally and funnily thinking(like how I used to do), can get it clarified from other students who are attending the coaching classes(Hey no! I was just joking, dont take me to task.Haha!).

To substrate this particular argument(errors in materials) alone as a reason staggered for going to coaching classes is wrong.It may be one of the reasons, though.I do not deny it.

2.Third logical fallacy: "Some people in this forum commented and criticised about some great teacher. Before commenting about your teachers, first of all try to correct yourself. More than that, dont judge others. Others are judging you, mind that. So Change yourself. Dont try to change others."

What is the logical fallacy here: There are 2 not one.

1. Logical fallacy of "Guilt by association"

and

2. Logical fallacy of "Appeal to popular emotions"

A.Guilt by association:

Guilt by Association is a fallacy in which a person rejects a claim simply because it is pointed out that people he/she dislikes accept the claim. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. It is pointed out that people person A does not like,accept claim P.
  2. Therefore P is false

It is clear that sort of "reasoning" is fallacious. For example the following is obviously a case of poor "reasoning":

"You think that 1+1=2. But, Adolf Hitler Joseph Stalin and Mussolini all believed that 1+1=2. So, you shouldn't believe it."

In other words, "A judgmental kind of guy like Vidhyashankar"(whose only purported task here is to excite students and maybe dole his email ID ...no joking again) says this and thus dont fall for it.

Hey but wait, Im not Adolf Hitler guy...yeah he was my backyard mate and we played hide n seek in kindergarter but that does not make us buddy-buddy....boooooohooooo!

B. Appeal to popular emotions:Most common tool expressed by the "parent" in the Parent-adult-child emotional tapes of Transactional analysis as put forth by Eric Berne in his revolutionary book on psychology, "Im Ok you are Ok".

This is a parental dialogue(talking in psychological terms) and anyone, even a 5 year old kid can adopt this parental mode and chide his/her younger  sibling.This has no age connection or social moorings(though comes from social moorings)

In this, the point showcased has not been cleverly mentioned but "throw-away" statements like --"You are judgmental"...and emotionalities by way of guilt..."Other people are judging you"(Let me help you mudsling me properly with a Biblical phrase: "Judge not for ye shall be judged"),etc.

This is emotional guilt tripping and side-tracking the main issue of relevance of teachers and their obnoxious behaviours in the class at  the cost of students.

Judgementality is a good thing it is not entirely bad. Who said it is bad? It is a modern trend to say..."Hey dont be judgmental"..Auditor is called for and his views are to be based on his judgement, a judge is placed in a court to judge,you judge the distance when you have to turn your scooter or car to your coaching classes, you have also judged me as someone who scribes to dole out and maybe get student email IDs for popularity...are not all these judgements made, whether good or bad?

The human brain is wired to make judgments, however without the prop of logic it becomes a purely emotional affair and then many a times one gets hurt emotionally or maybe even physically.

I was not judging anyone, merely stating what I experienced.Nowhere have I stated the professor did not have knowledge or did not have the capacity to teach.Also it is not "someone" it is me, be direct, I can brutally be direct too!

3. Fourth Logical Fallacy: "Some people told, teachers are coming late. Even if they come late, they are solving only one problem and rest of the problem they ask students to solve at their home, teacher is taking 10 hours classes etc. I accept certain mistakes are being committed by certain teachers. Just because, one police official is doing something wrong, can you generalise every police is worst in this world?

"
I will tell about the attitude of some students (not all). They have an idea of attending class only for one month. In that month class should be daily for only one hour. Saturday and Sunday should be holiday. Within one month all subjects should be completed, by explaining maximum theory, including 100 tests, solving 10,000 problems inside the class.

So dont generalise that all teachers are like this, that, X, Y, Z etc. Try to change your mistakes my dear friends."

------------

Fifth logical fallacy: 1.Sweeping generalization attribue and 2. Sweeping generalization

Good that you accept something atleast! Ha!

It was not "someone(told)" again who said that, it was me.Come on attack me dont attack any student here! They are gems and wannabe CAs!

A teacher who is to teach for a stipulated number of hours by taking lot of fees from an otherwise jittery CA student who gets afraid about the course and thinks about dropping the course at the first sneeze of fear, has an unbound duty to come regularly to the class and teach a certain number of problems and cover the portions diligentlly

(*whew* the above one came good and maybe adopted as the mission statement of any good teacher in this field)

Now, give me a break here: I never generalized any particular teacher, just one prof.That too it was not some stray incident but a general thing which he did which irritated many students.

Your logical fallacy here? : "Fallacy as to sweeping generalization attribute"

What the heck was that mouthful?

It means A says something(in this case Vidhysashankar is that A) and B refutes saying "A has said something only an isolated case/causa and that it cannot be applied to all situations" but not minding the fact that A's intentionwas not for generalization but for something as subjective as one's experience with someone.

I was not trying to make a anypoint anywhere towards generality, this is where you throw the "baby out with the baby water".

A Police official might be doing something wrong and it is the unbound duty of a good samaritan to report it to  justice and not seek recourse in such fallacious reasonings like "Are all Police bad"? You would not say such things if the same Police had arrested you for no reason and beaten you up in a cellar! Then would you not make hue and cry, if given a chance or have the power? That single Policeman would bring a bad name to the whole Police force by virtue of people sterotyping in their mind even the smallest quirk in any organization,caste,community or religion.

I have been given both the chance in this forum and have the power of words to express "for" or "against" anyone or any situation for the good.I have also given a good comment on CA Pattabhiram sir and you have carefully chosen to ignore that and highlight "percieved defects"

There is another fallacy here which is "sweeping generalization" which is in direct contradiction and contrast to what you have said here.While you vociferously support teachers(because you belong to one such clan) and ask them not to generalize, you yourself commit a generalization in assuming "all students demand more than what they deserve".Isn't this a "sweeping generalization", sire, Pray tell me?(Though you cleverly add for nominality sake "not all students".If its not all students and just some as you hint, then why bother about that few dubious bunch of truants?)

Yes, there might be some students who out of not having time might put forth such "convinient requests".If the students as you portray are irrational,unreasonable and lethargic as you say and thus demand such assinine requests of accomodation as to time from teachers, then I think you are terribly wrong here. Students pay through the nose and have every right to demand to not only be treated properly but also be given value for what they have paid.

Mind you, you think you are doing a great favour to students by teaching them.But I tell you, I consider it a boon to shape and mould an ordinary student to an extraordinary humanbeing.Mnay many students in my classes for SAP and Options and futures(with a College here in USA) regularly contact me and send me wishes and very very kind words how I have influenced them for the better.But I do not accept their words of thanks, I say to them ,"I should thank you for showing me what a good teacher and a human being I' m and how better I can be, more than you thanking me for whatever little I have done."

"The giving hands should thank the receiving hands more than the receiving hands thanking the giving hands"--Mahaveer Jain

I think the perception and attitudes of  teachers,especially in this field, should undergo a quantum-leap change for the better.Do not tie up students in useless and forced emotions.Emotions and gratitude is at the behest and whim of the receiver and not something forced by the giver.

The final fallacy: "To conclude, purpose of attending class is to reduce the burden of understanding the basis knowledge about the subject and some intricate issues only. Dont think you will become God by attending classes. Any finally, my humble request is "Dont judge your teachers and dont comment/criticise about everybody". Try to rectify certain mistakes done by you (students)."---

Appeal to emotions and guilt and usance of a red herring.

I have not "criticized all", I have also on the strain praised CAPattabhiraman,Which you have conviniently omitted to mention or consider.

No one here thinks that one would become "God" by attending classes.Infact, the teacher must make students such "Gods" and not shirk responsbility by saying such words.If "God" in your lingo means a student's aspiration to get a top rank, then you HAVE NO RIGHT to deny such an aspiration.

It is by criticality and "comments" that even philosphers like Socretes,Plato,Aristotle and every other philospher worth his salt made his "grey shine".

You constantly harp about students to recitify their mistakes and eventhough you accept nominally that teachers are doing wrong, you do not tend any paths for them to change.Why is this so? Precisely because you do not want to come out of your rut and comfort zone as a teacher.Im sure you are uncomfortable with what I have said and this is precisely my task to make people especially my Indian brothers and sisters really uncomfortable with the current status quo and progress for the good.

And yes, this is a "playground".It is only in the playground that children really flourish and grow, it is only in a playground that students express themselves fully in their thinking and other skills, it is only the playground type of teaching environment(Montessori and other types of education) that children realize their capabilities and it is in this type of a playground that "Vidhyashankar" would like to frolick have fun, make faces,show two fingers at everyone and educate.

Please do not mind my "at-times" harsh words and kindly excuse me sir.(I say this from my heart and not like a formality; for you have boldly opposed my posting whatever might be your "defects of argument" and have given me a chance to scribe something for today, constructively, for students and made my day! And hey! Im not giving my email to you,dont worry! Hahaha!)

Im both a CA member and a student and never proffer any airs of being a "Teacher","Preacher", whatever!

Aye! Aye! Sirji!

"Vidhyashankar"

P.S. Also, Iam well aware that you are a teacher of the Sreeram Coaching point in Cochin which has been commented upon unfavourably here by not only me an outsider but by students themselves, so I understand your loyalty to your organisation and Mr.L.Muralidharan.

Lekshmi (Chartered Accountant) (1285 Points)
Replied 01 July 2009

"The mediocre teacher tells,
The good teacher explains,
The superior teacher demonstrates,
The great teacher INSPIRES"

Hats off to all the teachers who have inspired us.

And to the guy hiding behind the profile of Vidhyashankar. Because even though he is on the other side of globe, he has really inspired a lot of students. I guess i am right.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: