Wrong Priority

Govind Rathore (CA Final) (543 Points)

26 August 2010  

The term 'commonwealth' originally meant public welfare, things that are for the greater good of society. Do the Commonwealth Games pass this commonwealth test? Is this Rs 28,000-crore drain on public funds for the greater common good?

Instead of spending crores to widen Delhi's roads, should we not prioritize building roads and schools in Bihar where none exist in the first place?

If we have Rs 500 crore to spare,
should we use it to build basic sports facilities in thousands of government schools, or should we spend it all on renovating one stadium?

Instead of Spending 1000 Crore for Delhi Airport, should not we try to provide more provision to poor through BPL cards?

Instead of giving crores to the brand ambassador, should we not get blankets for the poor who sleep on the roads, twisting their body like a kidney bean in winter?

Instead of filling the bank accounts of the organizers and other corrupted people, should we not pay to the 100000 labourers that are engaged for the CWG project and paid below the minimum wages?

We don’t have money to uplift the education system, but we have enough to spend for CWG.

There are more poor people in eight Indian states than in the 26 poorest African countries combined, 81% of Bihar's population is poor. Still our government feels CWG is a priority?

When work on the Commonwealth Games began in 2006 the mega budget was Rs 22,000 crore. Four years later the budget is Rs 30,000 crore. It has swollen by nearly 40 per cent forcing the Delhi government to increase taxes and roll back crucial subsidies. How fair is this?

I wonder it’s the same Delhi where every year thousands of homeless people die due to severe cold, they sleep at night praying god that I should be alive next morning, still 28000 Crore for CWG and not a Rs.280 Blanket for the poor.

Not the least, Despite of spending crores, the whole world is laughing at us, even CWG could not escape corruption.

How can we forget that for Rs 28,000 crore we could have established primary schools and health centers in tens of thousands of villages? Can we ignore this splurge the next time a malnourished child looks at us in the eye?

Gandhiji's Words: "Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him. Will he gain anything by it? Will it restore him to a control over his own life and destiny?

But who is going to teach these politicians.

All this just makes to recall a concept that I studied in PE I, Macro Economics “Regional Disparities”

Spend on a grand sporting spectacle sounds like we have got our priorities wrong.

- Says Premji (wipro)