Easy Office
Easy Office

Whats the Catch in ICAI Parivartan Offer regarding Windows 7

Page no : 3

.A.M. (Learner) (115 Points)
Replied 14 June 2011

@ Sadik  I am not sure on this issue. But as per one view the FAQ 9 that you quoted. It says - "The media can
be copied to or written to a DVD." It does not speak of 'distribution'. As ICAI  itself has not made the link public, it would be violation of copyright to distribute the details of the software !!

So pretty not sure. Though I am quite willing to help - but I would prefer if something is legal - it should be for all. As such we should refrain from violating copyright laws. I have written to ICAI for clarification on this matter.

As such you can always upload your file on caclubindia at

/share_files/files_upload_form.asp

1 Like

Sadik (Temporary Lecturer) (33 Points)
Replied 15 June 2011

OK I found a way to show the procedure.

Step 1.   Download uTorrent here, and install it, if not already.

Step 2.   Run uTorrent, Click on “File > Create New Torrent...” or Press “Ctrl+N”. A “Create New Torrent” window would appear.

Step 3.   Click on “Add file” and Select our file “XB34EDGR5.rar” and click “Open”. The file would be in ‘Select Source’ field as shown below. (Your file path may be different)

Step 4.     Remove all trackers from “Trackers” field. and click on “Create and save as”.

It will take a few seconds to generate .torrent file. When done, Select location to save our .torrent file.

So, our torrent file is ready. (it would be approx. 20 KB)

Gopal (Student) (103 Points)
Replied 15 June 2011

Go ahead. This will indeed be a suicidal move. All licenses will be cancelled in a single stroke for sure

Replied 15 June 2011

Originally posted by : .A.M.

@ Sadik  I am not sure on this issue. But as per one view the FAQ 9 that you quoted. It says - "The media can
be copied to or written to a DVD." It does not speak of 'distribution'. As ICAI  itself has not made the link public, it would be violation of copyright to distribute the details of the software !!

So pretty not sure. Though I am quite willing to help - but I would prefer if something is legal - it should be for all. As such we should refrain from violating copyright laws. I have written to ICAI for clarification on this matter.

Again Thanks for your efforts. Actually I came to read (your) this post, after i posted the above procedure.

Nice to see your concern for legal preference. After all, we all (who has paid for it) prefer legal, so we are paying for it and waiting for days to complete our download. And If we would not, Aren't there pirated softwares available freely and even used widely in our country ?;(

Indeed when purchasing, i thought they would give a download link to a Microsoft Server, where we would get .iso images of the softwares (i.e. win7 and ms office) and with our VLK (volume license keys) - provided by icai+microsoft, we would activate it. But the senario is quite different. They are providing a RAR file, and by trying to explore the RAR file , i could partialy see some folder names inside, which were like 'DVD_ROM (E)', 'boot'. etc. which means they have simply copied DVD contents and compressed them ?. That seems impractical as for an Operating System installation.

I can't get why did they not communicate for two months after making payment. And they did , after withdrawing the offer ! (actually i wanted to buy another license for my laptop, after completing the first successfuly)

They are even not responding to request for 'Base Starter Pack" as they mentioned in FAQ, to be purchased for 1000 + Taxes.

Anyways, It happens only in india.

Now a few words on torrents. In torrents, the file is segmented into smaller pieces (that may be pieces of 64 KBs, 128 KBs, ...., upto 4 MBs). A single file torrent is mainly the HASH value calculated per piece. (you know MD5, SHA1 hash, don't you?) . Resulting in aoubt 20-50 KBs total torrent file size. (otherwise MD5/SHA1 like HASHes are only a few bytes).

So when checking integrity of downloaded file, torrent client compares HASHes of individual pieces. If a piece mismatch, it reports it as corrupted and redownloads that piece.

A HASH is a one way route, that means, you can calculate hash value of a data, but can't retrive data from a hash value.

That said, you can't create a 4 GB file from a 20 KB torrent file, unless someone seeds it for you, or you have a direct web link.

Now what i want to say, is , by distributing .torrents files we are not distributing any details of the file, except file name.

And only they will be able to use the torrent, who have a valid link to the file. That means no copyright violation.

If you are getting confused, or unsure, Don't worry!  I apreciate your efforts and you have surely tried to help.

We will wait and watch, if our institute comes up with some solution, or, I will try to get a higher bandwidtth connection and retry once more!

Thanks again for your concern in the matter. Good luck.!

Replied 16 June 2011

One thing I am not clear regarding this Parivartan Offer Windows 7 & MS Office.

As there is no process of authentication (like username or password) - would that mean that if ANYONE (not only those who have really purchased) -

but ANYONE who has the download link - would be able to download and install it over their  previously owned legal OS whether it be Win 98/2000/XP/Vista etc?

How will Microsoft authenticate? Has anyone updated their system till now?

Replied 16 June 2011

Replied 16 June 2011

Thankgod these guys finally awakened. Now i am waiting for DVD.

Replied 24 June 2011

Hi Friends,

I received a DVD today from ICAI! :)

I have yet not checked it, though.

Replied 25 June 2011

please tell whether its working?

Replied 26 June 2011

Originally posted by : Sadik

Hi Friends,

I received a DVD today from ICAI!

I have yet not checked it, though.

By which courier did they send it?

Replied 26 June 2011

I don't know which courier, cause i was not at home when it arrived, but it looks like this,

It seems to be a bootable DVD but haven't tried yet because i already use win7 on my desktop, and as far as i know i can't install this version directly without any previous os. My brother is using winxp but it is very tedious for him to backup data and reinstall an os.

If I get 'base starter pack' as they mentioned in FAQ, i can try it on my pc or laptop by removing existing wn7 os.

Has anyone succeeded in getting 'base starter pack' ? Has anyone tried this win7 on their previous xp/vista ? What about core CALs ? (i don't know what are they and how to use them).

Finally Has anyone installed MS Office ? I even don't know how to install it from that 148 MB File. (well, i un RARed it to become aprox 1 GB in size, but still don't know how to use it.:(

1 Like

Replied 26 June 2011

It seems it would be best to get these installed through some computer shops.

Infact those who want to upgrade should clearly have in mind what kind of upgrade they want to have.

There are various ways - one can upgrade in 32 bit mode or even to 64 bit mode

But upgrading from 32 to 64 bit would wipe out all files. 64 bit is more faster but requires better hardware configuration. Infact, one should PLAN the UPGRADE

https://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements

https://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/64-bit-support

https://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

@ Sadik w.r.t the starter pack, the in April, the reply, I had received in this regard was:

"This offer is still not online and requires some working between MS/ICAI"

It seems to me that after this Win 7 problems - its going to take quite some time for the "working"

Replied 05 July 2011

Good news friends

ICAI is mailing the detailed activation procedure to everyone. ICAI has sent installation and activation procedure to everyone email. Please check your bulk/junk folder. Please follow the following link for downloading steps with screenshots issued by ICAI (Activation code has been removed from file. Please check your mailbox for same):

https://www.4shared.com/document/QBBhBAZC/steps_for_installation.html

or download the attached file

Attached File : 93022 759605 steps for installation.pdf downloaded: 157 times
1 Like

DEBATOSH KAMILA (CA FINAL Final Yr Article Trainee)   (72 Points)
Replied 07 July 2011

oh really! i c.. ya u r right mate..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: