What will happen if I don't file ITR-V ack. form in 15 days

saravanan palanisamy (Software Engineer) (40 Points)

29 July 2008  

Hi all,

Please bear with this lengthty mail and suggest me a correct solution.

I  am using eFiling for first time without digital signature.
I  have to file tax returns for the assessment year 2008 -2009, with ITR2 form for individuals.

I uploaded a wrong xml file while efiling (on July 19). 
I didn't submit this wrong ITR-V acknowledgement in incometax office, and I have no receipt for this efiling.

With the 'Revised' option,  I generated new xml file after correcting the error, and uploaded the new xml file, and got another ITR-V acknowledgement form. (July 26). I didn't submit this new ITR-V acknowledgement either, and I have no receipt for this efiling also.

I went to IT office (on July 29) to submit both these ITR-V forms, and noticed that I did one more mistake.
I filled the details in assessment year 2007 -2008 ITR2 form instead of assessment year 2008 - 2009 ITR 2 form.
The irony is I already filed tax returns for the assessment year 2007 - 2008 through tax consultants last year.

I enquired the help desk guy there and he said that
   1.) You have to efile in a new ITR2 form for the assessment year 2008 -2009. [ok. no issues.]
   2.) You have to efile again for assessment year 2007 -2008 [with that year form16 info], with revised option.  If I don't do this, ITR V generated on July 26 can overwrite the returns successfully filed last year.

Questions:
========
1.) If I don't file revised ITR V acknowledgement forms within 15 days, what will happen?
     [My gut feeling is, "No need to file these revised forms and the problem will be solved automatically :-),
      as the data is valid for only 15 days :-)"]
2.) If I efile again for assessment year 2007 - 2008 with revised option, do this attract late payment charges.  I already filed returns last year sincerely :-(.
3.) In short, what I have to do to come out of this mess smartly.
Thanks,
Saravanan

Curious question:
Why the assessment year is printed as 2008-2009, though the tax is assessed for the year 2007-2008?