What is my tax liability?

I want to sell a land for around Rs.30lakhs which I purchased a year ago for Rs.5lakhs.

Buyers intention is to pay only through account payee cheques as he is taking a loan from bank.

What are tax implications?

Can I save any tax? If yes, what are possible ways.

Can I ask buyer to withdraw the whole amount and pay in cash to evade tax?

Replies (5)

" What are tax implications?"

As it is, it will be short term capital gains, which will be added to your income and taxed as per slab rate.

"Can I save any tax? If yes, what are possible ways."

If by any means, the transfer of land takes place after TWO YEARS OF HOLDING PERIOD!!

I already had received an advance payment towards the same of Rs.1lakh. So, if I postpone the sale deed later to 1 year, Is it fine and Can I go ahead to save my taxes?

if you want to save your tax then should have long term capital asset, and for this purpose your asset should be atleast three years old.

Which date will be considered as Date of Transfer if I postpone the sale agreement(i.e., Sale deed)?

Date of Actual receipt or Date of sale deed?

Agreement is not important.

Payment is not important.

Registration is not important.

Possession(Key) is important.

In this case date of possession will be treated as the date of transfer.

 

As per the Finance Act 2017 the holding period Should be more than 2years for  LTCG.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details