Way to Convert Your Ebook to PDF

Sameer Medhekar (Student) (4140 Points)

13 February 2009  

The Easiest and Cheapest Way to Convert Your Ebook to PDF - Part 1

Easiest and cheapest don't necessarily belong in the same sentence when it comes to PDF converters, and the phrase 'without a catch' doesn't fit very easily with those two words either! So, let's try find something that satisfies them all as best as we can.

You've finally finished your first eBook, ready to start distributing it and you realise you need to convert it to PDF first. You need to do it as cheaply as possible (after all, it is your first eBook - soon you will be able to afford the best of the best!) and without too much difficulty.

You could embark on a Google search for free PDF conversion which will yield plenty of results. But, what will probably happen is that each of the options you find will have a catch. And, if you're unlucky or impatient to get started you might find yourself downloading and trying out software, and using up valuable time before you realise that catch.

If you are looking for the cheapest solution, which gives good quality PDF conversion with all the features you might need for an eBook, then I would go with OpenOffice. There is no catch with the PDF conversion tools in this software, but there is however a 'price' to pay.

Depending on how proficient you are at your current word processor and on how adaptable you are, you might find it takes a while to get used to using OpenOffice. It has probably taken you some time to get as far as you have with what you use already, and time probably is money for you, so consider this hidden cost.

If however, you have time on your side, enjoy learning how to use new software packages or are starting from scratch with no particular preference for any wordprocessor, then I would definitely recommend it.

If, on the other hand, you don't have much time or money, the best option I've found for free PDF conversion is PDF995. The catch? It opens up sponsored ads every time you use it. If you can live with that, then this option will work for you. Compared to other ways of converting your Word document to PDF for free, this is a catch that won't affect your end result; you'll have all the features you need to create a professional looking eBook.

It may not be the easiest to use at first, but hopefully I can help you with that with these articles. And once you've set it up, you can create PDFs at the touch of a toolbar button in your Word document.

If you want to save yourself some frustration, you can download a free eBook (created with PDF995 from https://www.get-started-online.com/pdf/ - that will show you how you can create your own PDF eBook for free.