tips for ca final exam

CA ankit goel (Treasury) (79 Points)

28 May 2009  

first of all .. regards and hearty congrats to all those who are to appear for ca final exams ... i know all of u must be very tensed ... nevertheless all the best and hope all of u pass out wiht flying colors .. this message goes out to the candidates who are appearing for their final exam in november 2009 .... and i m sure majority of u are already into books... so i have some tips for u guys wch i think wud help u out ...

CA final has been turned into a hype  over the years and the very thought of it sends shivers down the spine and sweat trickling down ur forehead .... but friends  .. lemme tell u its a myth ... the fact is quite different.. CA final is not a tuf nut to crack if u go thru it in a very systematic process....and i will guide u thru it thru my own experiences ...

before starting off i presume , most of u are enrolled in coaching classes for accounts , cost , mafa , direct tax and indirect tax... its a good move ...self study is like army training but coaching classes equips u with an AK -47 ...  : )

firstly i wud like to tell u that Ca final is a 3 month rigorious course schedule b4 exams  .. tuitions excluded ...u need one month for group 1  one month for group 2 and after 2 months wen u dont remember anything the 3rd months comes in handy for revision... now lets get started ...

UR aim -- clear CA final in a single attempt.

the way- strategy + hard work

the strategy - make 2 subjects in each group ur strenght and just work hard for 3 months

GROUP 1

starting with accounts- make sure u r very comfortable with accounting standards .. these help u sail thru ... never leave out small chapters ...  with compulsory questions u can never be sure ... assume u wont be albe to crack it .. still working notes will save u there .. plus do it as afar as u can ... even 1 mark counts ..

ACCOUNTING STANDARDS- D.S.RAWAT

PRACTICALS- your tuition mat or elz mp vijaykumar( if not taking tuition)

MAFA- i could never understand y mafa was a dreaded subject  for everyone .. i found it quite interesting and easy  may b coz i had my concepts in place ... so u see .. STRENGHTEN YOUR CONCEPTS .... u have to have ur basics rite ... capital  budgeting is again a hopeless chapter .. the institue uses this as a tool to screw us up ... so dont worry too much abt it .. just go as far as u can in exam .. with other chapters u shud be comfortable .. forex basics shud b strong .. dont miss out theory .. its like the saviour .. and dont forget to do ur compiler ...i cant suggest any book for this as i followed only my tuition mat ...

AUDIT- the whole and soul of audit is  G.SEKAR(PADHUKA).... it a real quality in terms of content and comprehensiveness ... i m sure u must be worried abt how vast it is .. but i ll tell u how to go abt it ..do the following chapters from  this book ( must):

1.company audit  2.audit report. 3.bank audit 4. special audit 5.professional ethics 6. acconting standards ... for the rest of the chapters u can refer some other book like vinod agarwal or the institute mat...for auditing standards do refer a seperate book  ...

LAW- the one and only munish bhandari  willl suffice ... do the first 6 chapters and the last 7 chapters well ...rest of the chapters have a medium hold ...

GROUP 2

costing - refer padhuka for this ...apart from tuitions ... tuitions would be good for QT ... i never took tuition for this subject ... and i scored a healthy 59 ... start with easy chapters ... simulation , assignment.. ur confidence will boost ... then move on to costing .. do marginal costing ... give it some time ..thats the base of  entire costing .. wat i did was i read all the examples from padhuka .... then solved them.. and then solved the exercises given ...once u r familiar with MC  in and out ...do the decision making chapter and go upto costing for service sector ... also finish off ABC ...now move to QT ... do the transpotation chapter ... then do pert cpm ...linear programming .. and finsh off with learning curve... from there move to relevant cost analysis and then transfer pricing ... finally finish off along with theory either from padhuka or any other book in demend in ur area .. theory in padhuka is very vast ...

MICS-i wud suggest institute mat .. for some chapters  i wud suggest dinesh madan ... like edp , case tools , system testing , system implementation..do the first 10 chapters from mat .... cyber fraud from mat .. rest u can do from madan .. it wud suffice ....

DIRECT TAX-- i dont have much to say in this .. the more u do .. the less it is .. if u r into tuition then its  fine .. elz go for vinod gupta ... as u read thru it .. u will find many repetitive examples for clear understandiung .. starting marking the important examples and case laws from the beginning classified into very important and must see b4 exam .....elz u wont be albe to complete ur revision ...

INDIRECT TAX- refer bangar ...tuitions will give u a picture of wat indirect tax is all about and then reading from bangar will make it real easy for you ... for exam purpose i suggest bangar and nothing elz ...

for strengthning 2 subjects in first group u mite doa perm comb with accounts , mafa and law .. mine was mafa and law .. for group 2 .. mine was costing and indirect tax ... u shud keep indirect tax and can play perm com withe the rest....one final tip .... make sure u attempt 80 + in every paper .. costing won leave u a choice of course .. u wont be able to attempt more than 80 marks  there ..

this advise has been given keeping in mind students with average IQ  level .. over intelligent and brilliant students shud pave their own path  ... this article  is based on personal experience  ...it is just an opinion and not a matter of fact .. readers are advised to use their discretion.

thanking you .

regards .

CA ANKIT GOEL.

for more queries and clarifications u can mail me at goel.robin @ gmail.com