Tips for a Better Study Break

Mukesh Choraria (Professional Motivator) (853 Points)

14 February 2011  

Are you considering taking a study break? There are a lot of things you need to be aware of before taking a study break. In this guide you will learn when it might be a good idea to take break and when to avoid doing so. As usual, feel free to leave a comment below. :)

Deciding if and when to take break from your studies isn’t an easy decision to make. It is therefore of extremely important that you don’t take any hasty decisions, it might be a good idea to consult any friend you may have who’s done what you’re thinking of doing. How did it turn out for this individual, any words of wisdom or warnings to be heeded?

Do you really need to take a break?

This is the first question you need to ask yourself. Are you really in need of a break? There are many different reasons why people decide to take a break from their studies, make sure you know why you want to. Don’t let it be due to peer pressure, just because all your friends did it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to as well. You should only take a study break if the circumstances demand it. If you are unsure it’s better to wait until you’ve absolutely certain. Generally it might be a good idea to send your academic adviser a short e-mail describing your situation and listen to their advice. You don’t have to take it of course but it does give you a little more understanding of the implications of taking a study break.

How will it effect your long term goals?

Put things in perspective by comparing the possible consequences of a study break with the effect that it could have on your long term goals. There are a lot of students who took a year off and then never came back and then they regretted it afterwards. If you think that’s the case then you shouldn’t take a study break until you’re certain you know what your doing. It shouldn’t be a spur of the moment decision.

Ways to spend your study break

Before you’ve decide to take a break from your studies make sure you write down what you wish to due during the break including when you wish to come back to your studies. Even if your main objective is to relax, you should still be active. Some people decide to learn a new language abroad and travel while others take on a job instead or take up gardening (or whatever). It’s far too common that students who go on an extended break loose track on what to do and end up spending their whole days in front of the computer/TV doing absolutely nothing. Not only is such behavior unhealthy but it will also make it more difficult to return to your studies.

5 Tips for a Better Study Break

With exams coming up, we're all studying all day, every day. However, we need to realize that study breaks are crucial. So read on for some study break ideas.

Snack

Taking a snack break in between studying is really helpful. Just thinking about and concentrating on something besides what you were reading refreshes your mind a bit.

Writing

For some people this might be work, but for me, it's a break from studying. For instance, in writing this list, I am taking a break; it's relaxing.

Movie

This is when you have studied a great deal! I studied all day yesterday, thus, I figured I deserved a long break. I watched "What About Bob?"

Nap

I typically don't take naps, but sometimes they are needed. So if you see that you can't keep your eyes open while studying, take a 10-20 minutes nap.

Walk

Take a walk outside, get some fresh air, clear your mind. The outdoors have a really amazing impact on us and taking a 10-20 minute walk might do us some good.