Test of 3 and Vidhyashankar...

Vidhyashankar (CA) (1292 Points)

18 June 2009  

Hi All,

I said in one of my comments a while ago, I get the member's SIRC newsletter.Now in page 5  or so I think,I came across a beautiful story about Socretes and this article has been penned quoting this story as the premable to the article titled"Public opinion".Since the newsletter comes to members only maybe students might not have access to it(in any case it is priced at Rs.5 I guess.I dont remember it exactly now that here in Gulf I dont possess the copy but do remember the story)

Why Iam saying this here I will tell all in the end first read the story

I would cut-paste-copy the story from some site I get in google to save time instead of narrating it in my own fashion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Socretes being given Helmlock poison for his liberal thinking and views by the government.Even the executioner is in shame while doling out the final punishment to Socretes!!(Hey! Vidhyashankar needs a glass of  an energy drink not helmlock! hehe! justkidding!!!!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC ), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Test of Three."

"Test of Three?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to test what you're going to say. The first test is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

No," the man said, "actually I just heard about It."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second test, the test of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued. "You may still pass though, because there is a third test - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me at all?"

The man was defeated and ashamed. This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

(Source: https://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=12016 )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message is intended for those who come to me in my PMs and forums with personal questions like "Are you a fake?"..."What do you want?"..."You dont have those degrees"..."Your photo is a fake"..."You want mere publicity",etc

My actions in the form of my typing words would speak better who Iam.Even when I tell the truth people would not believe me, even when I help people would suspect me, this is the foolish nature of humans.

So first question is ask yourselves before wasting my time: Do you know the truth about me?----Im sure you dont know exactly.

Then ask---Is it something good for me or students to hear?----Im sure calmounous comments against anyone is quite distasteful

Then finally ask---Is it going to be useful to me or students?----Im sure it will not be.The students will not get inspired and I would go my own way,spending even this small time in relaxation and other pursuits.Even otherwise,I would not come much after a few days and this is a promise to you all.So, try to use me while Im here for whatever little Im worth do not kill "Vidhyashankar" with a helmlock of criticism before his time(Arre Yaar dhoodh peetha baccha yaar yeh "Vidhyashankar" chodo usse!!).After I go you, are free to bash me and then I would not be able to reply to your comments on me for I have talked enough and ignited a few minds for the good.

Apply this test for every thing in your life.

Hope this helps everyone.I dont want to point any names here as everyone are students (or dynamic members) and they have a brilliant career before them.

My best wishes to one and all.