Tedious tds returns

Muralidharan (Self Employed) (1034 Points)

23 October 2015  

23rd October 2015

Dear Forum Members

I have been handling TDS returns filing for various companies / deductors for the past nine years and really enjoyed the experience. If we are thorough with the tds knowledge it was an excellent experience. But ever since tdscpc (traces) came into existence (from financial year 12-13) onwards TDS return filing has become VERY TEDIOUS AND MUCH COMPLICATED. My latest experience is as follows:

According to tdscpc (traces website) If i wish to go to Mumbai from Chennai, first I should go to Delhi and then from their to Mumbai.

One of my client has filed tds returns for financial year 2010-11. The return was filed with NSDL and accepted by NSDL. At that time tdscpc was not in picture.  The assessee has remitted two tds payments beyond the due date thus triggering interest payments.

The assessee has also paid the interest of Rs.52 and Rs.36 respectively which is for two quarters. Now the assessee has to close the demand by filing correction statement which will cost Rs.90/- towards return uploading charges plus professional fee.

It shall be noted tha trom this quarter onwards it is not possible to include a new challan in the latest NSDL RPU version 1.3. We have to include the challan through online or offline facility available in tdscpc website. Then we have to download consolidate file to enable us to file correction statement.

When I tried to include the interest challan (for financial year 2010-11), the website is throwing a message, which is reproduced below: 

Online correction on TRACES is not enabled for the requested statement. Kindly file correction through NSDL and the subsequent correction can be filed on TRACES

I approached NSDL through email and over phone. They could not give any solution. I approached tdscpc over phone. I was informed that first I should file a C1 correction statement (dummy correction without making any changes in the original accepted return) for the particular quarter. This correcton statement would be accepted by tdscpc. Once this correction statement is accepted by tdscpc then I can include the new challan for financial year 2010-11 through the online or offline mode available in tdscpc website. By this way I can close the demand. This process has to be undertaken by all assessees who have pending demands for earlier financial years (that is before financial year 2012-13)

After remitting the interest of Rs.52 and Rs.36 respectively which is for two quarters the assessee has to take a circutious route of filing two correction statements for each quarter (for closing the demand) thus incurring upload fee of Rs.180/- in addition to professional fees.

What an excellent and COMPLICATED process the traces website has created. We all should be really proud of them for creating such complicated process. I do not have twitter or facebook accounts. I would appreciate if any of the members take up this subject on such online portals so that this comes to the knowledge of the government to enable them to take steps to simplify the process. Simplied process will fetch more return to the government.

About two years before I sent a suggestion to traces. When a demand is raised it should be available in the website. Assessee pays the interest then login to traces website. Select the demand concerned from the drop down menu. Then matches the remitted challan against the demand. The demand would get closed instantly. It will not take beyond five minutes. The assessees can avoid filing a correction statement for closing a demand. Such an simple process suggested is yet to be implemented and instead they have made the tds filing a complicated process. I request the members to offer their comments.

with regards

Muralidharan