TDS Return on NRI Property - Last Date

Varun (Proressional) (47 Points)

12 May 2021  

I bought a residential property from an NRI. As the consideration amount was more than 50 lacs, TDS @ 22.88% was deducted (u/s 195) upfront and deposited on 24-Mar-2021. The sale deed was signed on 29-March-2021 at sub-registrar's office. However, after signing the documents and completion of the formalities at the sub-registrar's office, two employees at the office and my lawyer whom I hired were down with Covid-19. Therefore there was a delay in registering the sale deed. I got a confirmation about the completion of registration process on 10-May-2021. Index-2 shows 29-March-2021 as signing date but 10-May-2021 as registration date. Now I need to file TDS return. My questions are:

01. Which date to consider for filing TDS return? Date on which TDS was paid or the date on which sale deed was signed or the date on which index-2 was available or any other date?

02. What would be the last date of filing TDS return in my case?

03. If I file my TDS return tomorrow, does it qualify as late filing? Any penalty applicable if late filing?

04. I came to know that CBDT has extended last date of filing TDS returns till 31-May-2021. Is the extension given by CBDT also applicable to my case?