EASYOFFICE
EASYOFFICE
EASYOFFICE

TDS Querry

Page no : 2

CA Vijay Kumar Walande (Expert) (515 Points)
Replied 22 June 2011

Hi Friend 

You can file revised return with correct amount of tds i.e., 1600 and with respect to challan you have to either claim refund or adjust it to future liability.

As far as refund is concerned it would be the difference between:

(i)  the actual payment made by the deductor to the credit of the Central Government; and

(ii)  the tax deductible at source.

You can also take credit of the excess payment in the quarterly statement of TDS of the next quarter during the financial year.

In case, the detection of such excess amount is made beyond the financial year concerned, such claim can be made to the Assessing Officer (TDS) concerned. However no claim of refund can be made after two years from the end of financial year in which tax was deductible at source.

The following safeguards must be exercised by the Assessing Officer concerned to avoid double taxation:

The deductor shall prove before the AO (TDS) that:

(i)  it is a case of genuine error and that the error had occurred inadvertently;

(ii)  that the TDS certificate for the refund amount requested has not been issued to the deductee(s); and

(iii)  that the credit for the excess amount has not been claimed by the deductee(s) in the return of income or the deductee(s) undertakes not to claim such credit.

For more information download Circular 2/2011 from IncometaxIndia website

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: