Tax refund cheque reissue process

Sarveshwar (Software Engineer) (24 Points)

09 May 2013  

I had a significant amount due as refund from IT department for assesment year 2011-12 (Manual filing).  Lat year i had received a call from IT department requesting more information. When I contacted the department, additional information was just an excuse. you can guess the real reason. After that the refund went into a black hole. Utterly frustrated, i filed an RTI. The RTI application reached the concerened department on May 3rd. Immediately the online refund status was updated to show that refund cheque was sent on April 30th. The speed post status clearly shows that it was book on may 3rd 203. Now the cheque has gone back to mumbai because of "insufficient address". My questions are as follows:

- The cheque was dispatched from hyderabad (my assesing location). Isnt the refund cheque supposed to be sent by the Refund banker (SBI Mumbai? As per the india income tax website, it is the refund banker who will dispatch the cheque.

- Can i question the assesing office as to why the cheque was sent from hyderabad and not SBI mumbai? are there any exceptions that allows the assesing officer to dispatch the cheque?

- Is there a defined process to request reissue of cheque to a new correspondace address? Please note that mine is a case of manual filing. I looked at tax web site but i dont find a well defined process. 

My intention is to only get my refund cheque quicly and not question the system. Please advice

Thanks,

Sarvesh