Tale of Two Friends

Krunal Raichura (Financial Advisory) (2134 Points)

04 September 2009  

Tale of Two Friends

The result season for the exams is finally over, some must have passed in their very first attempt, and some may not have even after 3-4 attempts. A lot of questions may have come up in the minds of those who failed and passed as well regarding future. I therefore, decided to share a real story which relates to two of my friends, one of them became a CA in 2003 (hereinafter referred to as Mr. A) in first attempt throughout, and the other (hereinafter referred to as Mr. B) who cleared CA in 2004 in third attempt.

Mr. A had got a very decent job having passed all exams in first attempt in a big co. whereas Mr. B didn’t get so decent job that time. He underperformed all his colleagues. He was a bit saddened with his salary and comparing it with others, but he anyways had no choice but to live with it.

Mr. B’s employer went public in 2006-07. He got 5000 shares @ face value (effectively the current market price after stock split is 1500 rs). The company got listed soon. Lots of changes happened with foreign investment coming, management becoming more aggressive and professional and all this coupled with very high growth rates.

Today, B’s salary is 40-50% higher than A, and has no liabilities. Mr. A has done well no doubt, but is still struggling in that big company to pay off his housing, car loans.

What I interpret out of this is the luck factor coupled with certain other things which worked out for B.

This is a real life story, and I am sure if you sensibly search, you will find that many of the cos which got listed during that period created big fortunes for all their employee’s and even graduates become crorepati’s and reached very senior levels.

Many people who qualified sometime back must have come across such examples. At times, one may even feel that it would have been better had I passed in second or third attempt....:-)

P.S - I am not expressing a limit about how successful a first attempt or a second attempt or a ranker can be. Success has no limits. Attempts and Ranks are matters of exam whereas success in terms of money, respect and otherwise is a matter of Individual Capability and luck.