Student and quality

CA.Sidhartha S Pillai (Chartered Accountant) (531 Points)

18 May 2012  

It was the first day of my college, on a sultry July morning, we freshers were summoned to the College Auditorium for the "welcome convention". I was a bit apprehensive, shy boy sitting in a corner watching closely the formal proceedings which was mainly intended to  welcome us to the college campus and give us some suggestions on how to conduct ourselves in the college (it requires a little mention here that that during those days we had to go to college to study pre-degree immediately after 10th).

Among the speakers of the convention, one tall, pleasant-looking, gentleman rose up to speak. At first, he smiled at us. Then, he looked towards the audience and asked, "dear friends, can you tell me what good qualities that a student should possess? "

I looked up. This was going to be interesting, I thought.

"Well, those are primarily three, the qualities which have been emphasized time and again since ages. This was the basis upon which the much acclaimed Gurukula system thrived. The sages of our rich cultural heritage emphasized that  a student should be as VIGILANT as a crow, sleep as ALERT as a dog and live as simple as a SAINT"

Does everyone of us realize the import of those precious qualities?

15 years hence, sitting before my monitor , while sharing this thought, once again I find myself sitting in the same convention and nodding my head to the speech which shaped the life of students, God only knows, for how many ages,,,,