Starting own practice

Prodyut Banerjee (Advocate) (309 Points)

22 October 2009  

Dear friends,

I am a commerce graduate, law graduate and a Company Secretary. I am also having the NCFM and AMFI certification. I have about 7 years work experience in different companies (all listed) both in India and Abroad. I have worked equally in both field – Corporate Secretarial and hard core legal (except Court Work). Presently I am working at Dubai. Since beginning I had a dream of starting my own practice but somehow could not. Now I am thinking to resign from the lucrative job and start practice in Kolkata, my home city. My questions are

1. Would it be a prudent decision (keeping in view long term prospective)?
  2. Should I start practicing as a Corporate Lawyer or as a Practicing Company Secretary?
  3. Should I start of my own or try to get into a Law firm/ CS firm as an associate or partner?
  4. Should I confine myself to Corporate Law (Co. Act, SEBI and Stock Exchange, FEMA etc) and commercial contracts or try to enter into other areas such as taxation, land matters etc?

I would like to request to the learned members to enrich me with their knowledgeable opinion.

Regards,