St3 returns notice

Ravishankar K (Accountant) (461 Points)

11 April 2012  

Apr  - Sep 2011 ST 3 returns was my first return and i had recd a notice from Stax dept regarding some clarification inthe ST3 returns and had went to meet the range superintendent and found that for some meagre 1-2 rs miscalculations which the stax software did the notices are issued. here is the detailed interpretation: 

The Service tax software calculates tax on every month and rounds it up in that month itself. And at end of the period Apr- Sep the software calculates S.Tax on gross total amount and determines tax to be payable. Now obviously when individual rounding off occurs in month there will be some difference in total stax calculated on gross amount. Now if you observe our Case Service Tax as per individual month total is always greater than stax on gross amount except for Education Cess 1% for which the service tax software showed it as 377 instead of 379, this the service tax person has seen and issued letter. When i met him he told me this. But if you see we have actually paid 39005 Rs which is more than amount determined as payable.  He told that both amounts should match, but if feelif the service tax software itself roundes of stax every month and the amount of Rs.377/- determined as payable in software is unchangeable by us. Then how can we tally it.  The supdt asked me to give letter mentioned it as error in rounding off, for which i gave letter, but i feel this is problem of service tax software and not of accessee. So in future how to see individual month stax total matches with stax calculated on 6month gross income?