Sourav as BCCI president in 2014?

Prabeer (B. COM (H) CA & CS Final)   (5484 Points)

08 July 2009  

Sourav as BCCI president in 2014?

Eight months after he retired from international cricket, Sourav Ganguly is all set to launch a new innings that could well see him anointed as the BCCI president in five years’ time. Please don’t dismiss this as a mere birthday wish of a left-handed stylist, who is celebrating his 37th birthday today. 

This is a realistic possibility that no one is prepared to rule out. In fact, many in the BCCI are open to the idea of Sourav becoming the BCCI president in 2014 when it’s East Zone’s turn to put up a candidate for the top job, for it would necessarily mean the end of the Jagmohan Dalmiya era. 

Of course, conditions do apply and the odds against him are high, but that would hardly bother a man who has made a career out of proving critics wrong? “At some point, I will find a way to get into the CAB where people have known me since I was a kid. I have respect for them and I am sure they will appreciate my concern for Bengal cricket and the difference I can make. I am in no hurry,” Sourav told TOI. 

The entry point for Sourav has to be the CAB, his home association that is in a state of rut under the once powerful Dalmiya. Rumours are rife that Dalmiya’s 
rivals have all but convinced Sourav to contest the CAB polls later this month. 

Unless he is convinced about the numbers on his side in a 121-strong vote-bank, Sourav will not jump into the poll fray this time around. He would rather wait and watch for another year. It suits him because it still leaves him with enough time to meet all the criteria to contest the BCCI’s top post. Suggest that to Sourav and he laughs. “It’s a possibility, but right now, I am not looking that far ahead. I intend to take it step by step. Five years is a long time...,” sighed the man, who could well be the most powerful man in world cricket by the time he celebrates his 42nd birthday.
Source: TOI