Some Business Etiquette While Traveling

CA ADITYA SHARMA (CA IN PRACTICE ) (16719 Points)

07 July 2011  

So many people spend countless hours traveling on business. You may have wondered about some of the topics below on your business trips.

Q. My new position with a large electronics firm requires a significant amount of traveling? What advice can you give me regarding tipping?

A. If you are new to business travel then you may be a bit surprised at what a significant expense tipping can be. Service people who transport you, carry your bags, greet you at the door of your hotel and take you to your room all expect and, in most cases, deserve a tip.

A general rule to follow is that each bag is worth $.75 to $1.00 depending on everything from the size of the bag, the size of the city and of course the quality of service. Upon arriving at your hotel, the bellman will meet you and relieve you of your bags if only to bring them inside the door of the hotel to hand off to the bell man at the bell stand. For this he will expect a tip.

When the bellman takes your bags to your room, you are expected to tip again. To cut down on your tipping expense, carry fewer bags and purchase those with wheels you can manage yourself. Don’t be shy about turning away a pushy bellman. You also look more professional when you are not struggling with lots of bags.

Also, if you choose to order a meal from the room service menu, check to see if the gratuity is automatically is included before handing out more dollar bills. You don’t want to tip twice for the same service.

Can you give me some advice for politely discouraging a chatty airline seatmate from monopolizing my time on my flight when I have work to do?

Be polite to your seatmate, as you would to anyone, making small talk, perhaps exchanging information about the nature of your trip, then get into your work. If after three or four interruptions, he or she does not see that you are focused on your work, share some of the information and the deadlines you must meet for upcoming meetings. Explain that unfortunately you are not able to continue your conversation because of your workload. You might even offer a magazine or book you have available. Take a break during the serving of the meal and chat with you seatmate at that time.

Some tips for looking polished when traveling:

Use matching pieces of luggage. You want to avoid the gypsy look. Purchase clothes that do not wrinkle for your trips out of town. Do not wear linen and avoid 100% cotton if possible. Keep your travel papers, passport, etc. easily accessible. Place tissue paper between each layer of clothing, button all buttons and empty pockets before you pack. Your clothes will travel better this way.

source- internet