Show Cause Notice - General Penalty U/s 125, Rule 18 of MGST Act

Nikhil (Article Trainee) (125 Points)

26 January 2020  
Hello Everyone,
If you people know or not, from past few days GST officials are going for verification to their selected list of Companies.
And they check some documents, like Bill of entry, Sales & Purchase Invoices, GST payment Challans etc.

They came to the office where I work, and they checked the documents on sample basis. They all brought notices under different sections, but they couldn't find anything wrong in our books.

So, they Gave us a Show cause Notice under Section 125 of Maharashtra GST Act, Read with rule 18.

In short , they give us Notice because our GST Number was not printed on our name board. For which they gave us Notice, to be present in their office and file a reply, and that we are liable to penalty, they didn't wrote any exact amount on the notice.

As per section 125, the penalty amount can be extended upto Rs.25,000.
We went to their office, they said they want use to pay Rs.25,000 as penalty.

I asked them to reduce the amount, because the mistake was not too material, only GSTN was not printed on the name board. Although we have Placed the GST certificate, inside our office.

But they are not listening and asking us to pay Rs.25,000.
So, I don't know what to do.
Is anything I am missing here.?
Is this penalty can be removed. although we have now placed the GSTN on the name board now.

please help