service tax quarries

deepak (Chartered Accountant) (25 Points)

14 August 2008  

I have some problem regarding service tax.

One of my client is a private limited company, say A Pvt. Ltd., providing engineering consulting service to its clients.

X Ltd., a client of A Pvt. Ltd., is using this service as an input service for the service provided by it to its clients and charging service tax on it from its client.

Here the problem is :

1         A Pvt. Ltd. has charged service tax on service provided by it to X Ltd. But X Ltd. replied that it is not liable to be charged service tax  saying that as X Ltd. has recovered whole service tax from its client and paid whole amount to service tax department. X Ltd. is ready to issue a certificate for the same matter to A Pvt. Ltd.

So, whether the stand of X Ltd. is correct?   What will A Pvt. Ltd. have to do to safeguard its position?   Is there any provision / notifications / circulars on this matter?   If yes, than please specify.

2        In the same situation as above, another company Y Ltd. is paying service tax to A Pvt. Ltd. and claims this service tax as input credit.

So, whether is there any adverse effect to A Pvt. Ltd. if it will charge service tax from one client and will not charge service tax from other client?   What is the right way for A Pvt. Ltd?

I kindly request you to provide me your helpful guidance on above problems.

Thanking you,

Yours truly,

CA. Deepak Patel

Dholka

Gujarat

98984-66115