Easy Office
Easy Office

SELECTION OF BEST STRATEGY FOR CA STUDENTS

Page no : 5

CA SURENDRA KUMAR RAKHECHA (Practising CA at Surat) (26263 Points)
Replied 19 September 2010

@ Sandeep, 

Don't lose heart.  You performance is very near to success. Focus more on Accountancy, Cost Accountancy, Auditing and Direct Tax. These subjects will come again in CA Final at an advanced stage. If the foundation remains poor; again you will find difficulty there.

A student who scores in 30% marks in CA exams; is eligible to get success in CA. Whatever deficiencies are there; note down and regularly check them at certain intervals. 

Further; a student who scores 50% in graduation; is eligible to improve upto 70% easily but a student who scores 30% marks in graduation; a tough work is required to score 50%.

(Evaluation according to simple mathematics will fail here). 

Replied 20 September 2010

(Humour) 

I have also got very poor marks (1 point only) after replying the above as per the rule of caclubindia.

The site expects much better performance than I am presenting the issues. 

( Still I am happy and not complaining the Admin -   that should be the spirit of an unsuccessful student ).

1 Like

Dimple (Student) (364 Points)

Sir, THANKS FOR SHARING SUCH A WONDERFUL POST WITH ALL OF US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Why students don't carefully read the initial chapters of a subject ?

Because according to them; no questions are asked from these chapters in the examinations !  They try to solve typical questions without having expertise in solving simple questions.

After 2-3 attempts; the ICAI ask some simple questions (basic questions) in a question paper; but due to general answers given by the students; they score very low. Whatever comments are given by the Institute is never read carefully by the students.  

After preparing about a topic; make your own notes leaving sufficient space to incorporate new ideas and materials. Better use loose sheets and add/remove the materials which is required according to your knowledge which you gradually increase.

At the time of exam preparations;  select some sheets (photo copies should be retained in main notes) and keep them in a folder. For better look and keep interest in your own notes; get it bound in attractive colour spiral binding. 

Writing practice is a must which is missed by many students. Why ? Because they say if we engage in writing; syllabus would not be covered.

You should not forget that your whole knowledge about the subject would be tested through writing only in three hours and without writing practices, excellent performance cannot be expected. 

Can  you ?

1 Like

kaajal lodaya (student) (52 Points)

u r correct sir

i hv problems in maths 

as i ws taken s.p.in 11 and 12

G!rdhar! Jang!d (Tax Consultants ) (680 Points)

Originally posted by : Dimple

Sir, THANKS FOR SHARING SUCH A WONDERFUL POST WITH ALL OF US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geetha (CWA Inter student ) (162 Points)

Thanks for such a useful quote sir. Whenever i read inspirational quotes it makes me to do a bit more hardwork . Thanks to your son also as he is the reason behind you to become a member of Caclub.

1 Like

CA Suraj Lakhotia (IndigoLearn) (4898 Points)

Wonderfully written. Thanks for sharing these tips and insights here. 

One peculiar problem i found with many students who have talked to be is "COMPLETELY AVOIDING STUDY MATERIAL". It is understandable that subjects like DT/IDT become outdated by the time one is eligible to write exams. For other subjects, please make it a point to refer study material and atleast one reference book and compilations. 

Some students do not even open their Auditing Material because IT IS TOO THICK TO STUDY. They prefer notes/books which they can complete in 15 days time. This approach will not work in most of the cases. Please understand the students at final level are expected to have Advance Knowledge of the subjects. Reading these "Fast food" type of books wont help. 

Students should read the subjects with the understanding that one concept learned at one point is related to some other topic somewhere else. For eg, Fixed assets relating topics are covered at AS 10, AS 6, AS 16, AS 12, AS 28, Schedule XIV, AS 22 (defered tax asset arising out of timing difference on depreciation), Capital budgeting (purchase of assets), CARO (disposal of assets and verification) etc.

I found many students using piecemeal approach. They read one chapter and forget to carry the concepts while reading other chapters. This issue needs to be addressed by the students. 

Over reliance on coaching is also a concern which I have discussed at /articles/how-important-is-coaching--6895.asp

1 Like

Originally posted by : Suraj Lakhotia

Wonderfully written. Thanks for sharing these tips and insights here. 

One peculiar problem i found with many students who have talked to be is

"COMPLETELY AVOIDING STUDY MATERIAL". It is understandable that subjects like

DT/IDT become outdated by the time one is eligible to write exams.

For other subjects, please make it a point to refer study material and atleast one

reference book and compilations. 

Some students do not even open their Auditing Material because IT IS TOO THICK TO STUDY. They prefer notes/books which they can complete in 15 days time. This approach will not work in most of the cases. Please understand the students at final level are expected to have Advance Knowledge of the subjects. Reading these "Fast food" type of books wont help. 

Students should read the subjects with the understanding that one concept learned at one point is related to some other topic somewhere else. For eg, Fixed assets relating topics are covered at AS 10, AS 6, AS 16, AS 12, AS 28, Schedule XIV, AS 22 (defered tax asset arising out of timing difference on depreciation), Capital budgeting (purchase of assets), CARO (disposal of assets and verification) etc.

I found many students using piecemeal approach. They read one chapter and forget to carry the concepts while reading other chapters. This issue needs to be addressed by the students. 

Over reliance on coaching is also a concern which I have discussed at /articles/how-important-is-coaching--6895.asp

Thanks Dear Suraj. 

First of all;  the students should know         " s o m e t h i n g "      about the author.

From his profile I have copied

(although I don't like copy paste)

Suraj Lakhotia

A qualified Chartered Accountant with All India First Rank (PEI), Fourth Rank (PE II) and Second Rank (Final).

1. While reading Auditing; students think it is a theory subject.

They take it very lightly and allot very less time.

The forget the point; this subject also carry 100  marks !

2. They think that  in theory subject; it is too difficult to score

high marks.

3. Needless to comment on their marks scored in practical subjects

when we see their mark sheets.

4. Regarding piecemeal approach; I have already commented

when I replied to the query of  Sandeep.  

More views are invited from the readers - students and professionals. 

1 Like

One student asked me today : 

Sir, which are important topics in Advanced Accounts ?

For a while; I couldn't recall how many chapters are there and which chapters are important. 

When you can't recall your memory; the whole subject is important for you.

It means more practice is required in the subject. 

I replied her as under : 

When you join CA; don't think importance or non-importance of topics of a subject.

However simple rule to judge the importance of a topic specially for you -

the topics which you find somewhat difficult; are important for you.

Siddharth (Student) (95 Points)

hello sir,

i have been reading each and every post from this thread and i have been truly inspired by your and other sir's thoughts and ideas.

I have also realized my mistake of not taking my IPCC studies seriously,now i have my exams approaching in November and i am very tensed and nervous.I am low on confidence

As your article suggested that if you are not prepared dont give the exam just for the sake of it and to pass quickly,but i would like to ask one question

How to deal with competition?I get very sad when i see some of my friends in the next stage and i am still stuck...

Can you also tell me what is the character required to become a CA?How should i change my atitute so that it helps me in clearing exams and in life??

Thanking you...

1 Like

@ Siddharth

Very few students dare to speak about their problems publicly. Those who speak prove helpful to all who can't speak. 

1. First of all, forget past. It may take time to do so, but for the sake of your own benefit; forget what is lost. ( When we lose our dear ones; we don't cry for more than 3-4 days ).

2. Your life has just begun. 

3. You have whole life before you to make a bright career.

4. Whatever mistakes were there; now prepare and plan  in such a manner that  all your deficiencies are wiped off. 

5. For this even if you devote 3 more years; it is a win-win position for the life. 

6. Don't see others. They got benefits of their skills and carefulness about the career.

7. Just having a qualification of CA is not a solution to make a very bright career;  please keep this in your mind all the time. 

( This quote may be a surprising for you - but it is a fact ). 

8. There are many ways to make a bright career, but this forum is specially written for CA students. 

9.  If you are in tension after reading this; it means now you realized your mistakes. 

10. In day one or one or two months; it would not be possible to rectify all the deficiencies at a satisfactory level. 

11. Learn to play with books pleasurely.

12. In tension; performance will always be poor despite you have ability.

(See a cricketer who gets tension at 90 to score a century). Till 90; he was not tensed. But when he reaches towards century; 10 runs looks difficult for him.

Same is the position of most of the CA students. They reach upto 90%; but lose confidence of qualifying specially in exam days. 

Right now you just concentrate on the studies and forget about the result. Focus on learning and revising them reguarly.  Your relax position will boost your confidence and you would be able to perform better than others. 

Wish you all the best. 

1 Like

Siddharth (Student) (95 Points)

thank you so much sir....

so do u think i should give the November or prepare properly for May next year??

Sandeep Pandey (CA FINAL) (1306 Points)

Good evening Sir,

It is very much useful for me...... thank you very much for giving such a wonder ful advice .........

Should i stick with study material of institute for further study or need to change some of them..............

CA Suraj Lakhotia (IndigoLearn) (4898 Points)

For all those who feel they have failed and they cannot succeed, go to youtube and search for "Famous Failures". You will be surprised to learn that even greatest of greats have failed in their life. 

Read "The power of Positive Thinking for young people" by Norman Vincent Peale. Keep reading it daily for about 15-20 minutes. You must get confidence. 

The problem is not in Failing. In fact the real problem lies in not getting out of the Failure and aiming for success. 

Swami Vivekananda says. "The day you have no problems, be sure that you are on the wrong path". Till you are alive, you will face problems, Face them, conquer them and move ahead. 

Practice Meditation for improving concentration and focus. Join a Art of Living course or an Om Shanti course or a Ramkrishna Math. 

These are some of the things, in my opinion, one must follow. This will help not only in your professional life but also in personal and social life..

Famous Failureshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hz_s2XIAU

Must see video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOlTdkYXuzE (This person doesnt have hands and legs. Watch the video with audio on)

Every one know about Helen Keller : Blind, deaf and dumb. Everything depends upon your Mental state. 

Had Right brothers not worked further on their aeroplanes because the first plane they made was in air for just about 15 seconds, we would not have had all these jets and rockets. Give the extra mile. Do the little extra that makes you succeed. Remember, Water is water till 211 degrees F and at 212 deg F, it turns into steam which can move the largest of machineries on earth. That one degree extra makes all the difference.

Though a non subject discussion, the whole point in writing this is we are far more lucky and gifted. Realise that you are second to none and give your hundred percent. There is nothing that can stop you from succeeding. 

6 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: