" Stipend is not taxable. Read the attached case law "

nice one.

Sachin (Article Assistant) (462 Points)
Replied 11 December 2009

not taxable.....

Ruchita Gupta (Student) (60 Points)
Replied 11 December 2009

Originally posted by :Sushil
" Case i don't know. But it is taxable if it crosses the basic exemption limit. There exists employer - employee relationship. "

Sorry but i am unaware of this clause.. i disagree that there is an employer-employee relationship. As far as my knowledge goes we are not paid salary we are paid stipend. our employer is not obligated to pay FBT for us and neither are we guided by minimum wage Act.

can someone please advice me with a proper supporting if i am wrong.

Akash Pincha (CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT) (188 Points)
Replied 12 December 2009

Originally posted by :Ruchita Gupta
"

"
Case i don't know. But it is taxable if it crosses the basic exemption limit. There exists employer - employee relationship.
"

Sorry but i am unaware of this clause.. i disagree that there is an employer-employee relationship. As far as my knowledge goes we are not paid salary we are paid stipend. our employer is not obligated to pay FBT for us and neither are we guided by minimum wage Act.

"

There exist an employer and employee relationship, as on joining of articleship we have to sign form 102 i.e  deed of article and where it is clearly written about the employer and employee relationship between the principal and article assistant. So there is no question about employer and employee's relationship existence as it is amply clear from Form 102.

Replied 13 December 2009

Originally posted by :Akash Pincha
"

"

"
Case i don't know. But it is taxable if it crosses the basic exemption limit. There exists employer - employee relationship.
"

"

There exist an employer and employee relationship, as on joining of articleship we have to sign form 102 i.e  deed of article and where it is clearly written about the employer and employee relationship between the principal and article assistant. So there is no question about employer and employee's relationship existence as it is amply clear from Form 102.

"

I disagree again.. as per for 103 the declaration under 102 is a 'DEED OF ARTICLES' not an employer employee bond. Also as per the first part in the Form 102 it says Employer but the Third Part is and 'ARTICLED CLERK' not 'EMPLOYEE'. and if we are employees as you claim then why isnt FBT paid on benefits given to us..

plz do revert back it would be interesting to know the fact.

Thanx

Replied 16 December 2009

Replied 16 December 2009

"

Originally posted by :Akash Pincha

"

"

"
"

"

"

I disagree again.. as per for 103 the declaration under 102 is a 'DEED OF ARTICLES' not an employer employee bond. Also as per the first part in the Form 102 it says Employer but the Third Part is and 'ARTICLED CLERK' not 'EMPLOYEE'. and if we are employees as you claim then why isnt FBT paid on benefits given to us..
plz do revert back it would be interesting to know the fact.
Thanx
"

Please specify the benefits which are given to an Article Assistant and on which FBT must be levied as per I.T. Act, 1961 and the employer doesn't inlude those benefit in computing the value of Fringe Benefit.

Plz do reply.........thnx

Replied 16 December 2009

I do believe that the case presented by Aakashdeep Singh makes it clear that stipend is not taxable unless it was quashed in any successive case.

According to me we come under Apperenticeship Act, 1961 unlike employees of an organisation. The Act says that Trainee has to be paid a minimum sum as prescribed by that education board and we are also not eligible for bonuses and incentive schemes.

As per my knowledge no FBT is paid on the travel expenses paid to us.

Varsha (Accountant) (564 Points)
Replied 16 December 2009

stipend is not taxable in income tax law.......

Replied 17 December 2009

Right now i am in CA Final and taking satellite based coaching classes of Direct Tax from Dr. Girish Ahuja, on asking him this question whether to include stipend in computing gross total income or not? He replied that stipend would be included while computing Gross Total Income under the head Salary. And when i have refered the same tribunal case to the Sir, he told that this is a very old case and Income tax is not govern by the decision held in Tribunal case.

So i think its clear now, that it will form part of Gross Total Income under the head Salary.

And Regarding FBT, the employer includes conveyane and travelling expenses reimbursed to the article assistant while computing Fringe Benefit value as per my knowledge.

M Bhushan Shashikanth (Student) (29 Points)
Replied 17 December 2009

Boss first say whose stipend crosses or even touches the basic exemption limit........?

Replied 17 December 2009

Originally posted by : M Bhushan Shashikanth
Boss first say whose stipend crosses or even touches the basic exemption limit........?

First of all there may be other income so by adding them up with stipend, total income may cross the exemption limit. And 2ndly there are some article working in big firms whose stipend are around 10 to 15 thousand per month. So the basic thing is that, as we r doing CA  we should know the treatment of any income arising to any assessee.

Replied 17 December 2009

thanks everyone for sharing ur views here.

CA. ANiRuDDhA RAthi (CA) (554 Points)
Replied 09 March 2010

SUDHIR KR SHARMA Vs ITO stipend received by article is fully exempt from tax.

Stipend received by article is treated as scholarship(as it is received to meet the exp. of his books classes etc.) so it is exempt from tax U/s 10(16)

thanx

if u have any query about taxation

contact me any time from any where

Regards ,

Aniruddha Suresh Rathi

+91 9423575556

contact (call / sms / mail) me any time,,, any where

email id's

aniruddha.rathi @ gmail.com
aniruddha.rathi @ rediffmail.com
aniruddha.rathi @ hotmail.com

cacaca333 @ gmail.com

also visit my blogs at

https://aniruddharathi.bravehost.com/about_me.html

https://caaniruddharathi.blogspot.com/

and

https://aniruddharathi.blogspot.com/

CA Seema Kochar (CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT) (636 Points)
Replied 09 March 2010

yes it is taxable.......

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: