Question on ltcg tax on sale of property

Sumit Dhar (VP) (33 Points)

01 April 2012  

Hello Experts:

I need some help in resolving some questions around LTCG from sale of property.

Background:

Booked in 2005 march

Delivered in 2007 April.

Total cost inclusive of registration: circa 40 L

Potential sale value: circa 80L

1. What constitutes Acqusition cost? My list is as follows, please confirm:

Construction Cost
Electrcity Charges
water & waste treatment Charges
Advocate fee
Mesh & Grill
Maintenance Deposit
Reg & Stamp Duty Charges
Service Tax
Interest
Modification

Please ratify. From my point of view all this was required for the acquisition of the property and hence should count.

2. What happens to the amount of tax on housing loan that I haven't been able to get deduction for. Suppose in a year the total interest paid to bank is 380000. Me and wife claimed 300000 as this was self owened. Can I add the balance 80000 that was never claimed to the cost of acquisition? How will this be indexed- based on the actual year of registration/ occupation certificate of property or for the year that specific interest component was paid?

3. Does interiors done during the initial days before occupying constitute cost of acquisition?

4. Question on indexing: assuning the transaction will happen in 2012-2013 what should I use as CII for this FY? I am using 8% above the CII for 2011-2012. Plz confirm.

5. My sense is that I will have aboout around 7-8L capital gains. Given the above fact should this be considered a long or short term gains? If long term then is there any way I can defray or save on paying the long term capital gains tax?

Thanks in adavnce for reading my post and helping.