Premium used car sller

Akshay K S (Asst. Manager) (28 Points)

22 August 2023  

Hello esteemed community,

I am seeking advice regarding a situation involving a client of mine who operates a sole proprietorship business focused on trading premium used cars. The modus operandi involves purchasing vehicles from individuals and subsequently matching them with buyers for resale. This process ensures a direct transfer of ownership from the initial seller to the final buyer, with my client acting as an intermediary.

Given the upscale nature of the cars involved, the financial transactions are substantial. Considering this scenario comprehensively,

I am currently grappling with the following inquiries:

1. Since the ownership of the cars are not transferred to my client's name, we are in the view that the income he earned is in the nature of commission., And is it accurate to presume that only the commission amount is subject to GST (Goods and Services Tax)?
  2. Regarding income tax obligations, what would be the effects of unsold cars at the end of the financial year, would my client be required to declare unsold vehicles within their inventory?

I eagerly anticipate the insights of the knowledgeable members of this forum. Your expertise is greatly appreciated. Thank you."