PANNOTAVBL help

Abhinav Jain (Manager) (93 Points)

11 July 2009  

I got my TDS certificate from a company mentioning PAN No. of the Payee as "PANNOTAVBL".

1) I see that it means that the PAN NUMBER IS NOT AVAILABLE but I had given my PAN No. printed on my Bill.

2) The TDS Certificate lists my company name but not address on the certificate. (Mine is propreitorship)

3) Further, I raised the bill in name of "XYZ Pvt. Ltd." and submitted to the payer. The payment also came by cheque from "XYZ Pvt. Ltd." I have the Xerox of the cheque. But the TDS Certificate has come from "ABC Pvt. Ltd.". But both their addresses match though.

My questions are:
- Can I just change the company name in the bill at my end? Is there a need to? Will this discrepancy cause any problem to me incase of scrutinity?

- Can I use this TDS Certificate to claim refund / adjust against my payable tax even though instead of my PAN no. it is mentioned "PANNOTAVBL" ?

I will ask the payer about the discrepancies, but today they have an off and since the date of filing returns is close, I was hoping to get some immediate advice and so I can accordingly.

Please help.