Outstanding tax demand status on cpc website

Kiran Ravinuthala (Software Developer) (49 Points)

26 November 2012  

I frequently check my tax/refund status on IncomeTax E-filing website. I noticed the following in the section: "Outstanding Tax Demand Status" (There was no outstanding tax in my account as recently as 1 month ago, when I checked last).

PAN

Assessment Year

Section Code

Demand Identification Number (DIN)

Date of Demand

Outstanding Demand Amount (INR)

XXXXXXXX

1431a

YYYYYYYYYY

07/03/2011

XXXXXXXX

1431a

ZZZZZZZZZZ

28/06/2011

I have not received any email/letter from the Jurisdictional Assessment Officer, nor from CPC so far. What does the above mean, and what is my recourse ? I don't even know why I owe this amount and under what heads ?

What is very frustrating is - The Date of Demand is in early 2011, and I find out about it (On my own effort) in November 2012, a good 1.5 years later. What would happen if I had never seen this ? Why is our IT department so "EFFICIENT" ?

I filed my returns manually for the above years (Assuming that 2009 means AY 2009-10, and 2010 means AY 2010-11) through a CA, who processed for the entire company.

I contacted CPC by phone immediately, and they quickly washed off their hands, saying that since I filed the return manually, I have to contact IT Department directly and not CPC.

Should I care about the above status ? If I must, what should I do ? Are there any time-lines within which I have to get things corrected ? Will IT department give me the benefit of time, because of their inefficiency (1.5 years delay, to be precise) ? 

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.