Outstanding tax demand - how to resolve?

I have two outstandig tax demands:

[1]

Section 220(2) Rs 5000 - There is no way to pay this. I suggests that it will automatically be adjusted against refunds.

QUESTION: I have no refunds planned for this year - so how will Rs 5000 be adjusted then? Should i just pay some extra advance tax so that a refund is created ?

 

[2]

Section 143(1) - Rs 20,000 - I was paid this many years ago, and also provided details with Challan #, BSR Code etc.. online.

QUESTION: Even after so many months/years this demand refuses to go away. I am at loss what to do with it.

(Both of these pertain to years when online filing was not available, i have visited IT office - but they don't care to do anything).

Replies (5)

PLEASE WIRTE DETAILED LETTER TO YOUR JURISTRICTION OFFICER ALONG WITH YOUR SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS TOWARDS  REMITTANCE AND KEEP AS YOUR FUTURE REFERENCE .IF POSSIBLE MAKE A VISIT AND EXPLAIN THE SITUATION IT MAY RESOLVE FOR DROPPING THE DEMAND

 

 

Agreed with Sampath

In case of tax paid of Rs.20,000/- it is possible that you may require to do challan correction, check the challan status from TIN NSDL site.

write to your AO

Thankyou all for your responses.

I have already written many letters to AO, even visited personally 3 times, received acknowledgement too each time - about the letters - BUT - they just don't act on it. Even if i visit again - they will say give letter and go away - thats all.

Should i just leave these as-is, and not bother? I need 'practical' tips on what to do now - if anyone can help. Anyone else in similar situation?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details