New Rupee Symbol, How it looks like?

Kalpesh Chauhan, (Tax Assistant (Accounting Technician CA FINAL CS PROF. PROG. B.Com))   (8311 Points)

16 July 2010  

The Indian Finance Ministry yesterday unveiled its choice for the new Rupee symbol . There were five designs shortlisted. The final design is an amalgam of both Eastern and Western letters, using the Devanagari “Ra” and Roman capital “R.”without the stem and two parallel lines running at the top.
rupee symbol
The jury was headed by Reserve bank Of India deputy governor K.C. chakrabarty. The challenge now will be translating into a standard graphic language.

The new symbol is created by Indian Institute of Technology assistant professor, D. Udaya Kumar. A post graduate student at the Indian Institute od Technology (IIT) wins a cash prize of Rs 2,50,000 ($ 5,350) beating three thousand other entries in a national competition. Kumar who will now join as a faculty member of the IIT-G says” I want a symbol for the Rupee to represent the Indian flag”

He expressed that he is very happy on his achievement and simultaneously he was quietly confident about his design being picked ahead of the competition. “Most of them were almost similar in concept and execution. I thought I had an edge, as Indian scriptt was represented.”