New regime tax rate not considered for IT calculation

Dear Sir,

For AY 2022-23, as a person having income from profession, I filed my online ITR-4 (at https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal ) having opted for New Regime on 7-July-2022, well within the deadline for filing IT return for the AY. I had filed form 10IE in the month of June 2022 (for section 115BAC, New regime). The tax calculated automatically in the ITR considered the new regime and I was eligible for a refund.

However, after receiving the the intimation u/s 143(1), I  found that the department has not taken into account new tax regime, though the intimation shows opted for 115BAC. The tax has been calculated as per old regime slab rates (I calculated it myself and confirmed it). Thus, my refund amount has been reduced drastically. What recourse do I have?

Shall I file a grievance or shall I file a rectification request?

Kindly let me know the way forward. Thank you

Replies (4)
Quick Summary
A taxpayer who opted for the new tax regime (Section 115BAC) for AY 2022-23 found that their Income Tax return was assessed using the old regime rates, significantly reducing their refund. They are seeking advice on whether to file a grievance or a rectification request. Another user confirmed that selecting 'reprocess' in a rectification request resolved a similar issue for them.

File rectification request

Thank you Sir. Do I need to select reprocess in the rectification request? 

Was your issue resolved? I am facing the same problem since last year. I have filed rectification request 5 times but it has still not been considered.

Yes, my issue was resolved upon selecting reprocess under the rectification request.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details