Nation celebrates as anna promises to end fast at 10 am on s

JIGYASOO RATHORE (n) (420 Points)

28 August 2011  

Nation Celebrates as Anna Promises to End Fast at 10 am on Sunday

In what may be termed as one of the biggest victories for the people of India, the fight against corruption received a huge boost on Saturday August 27 when the nation's parliament accepted and agreed to adopt the three major points with regard to the Jan Lokpal Bill.

Considered a ray of hope for millions, Anna Hazare, the 74-year-old social activist became a national hero after initiating his movement against corruption, when, on August 16 at 7 am he started his second fast which he called the 'Second freedom struggle.' He has now promised to break the 12-day fast after former Maharastra CM and current union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh officially handed over a letter from the Prime Minister confirming the acceptance of Anna Hazare's conditions by the parliament.

"This is the victory of the people. I thank you all for supporting me. I thank each and every member of the parliament for supporting this resolution and agreeing to pass it in the parliament. The task is not complete still, but only half done. Our fight will continue until we reach the goal. I am breaking my fast tomorrow at 10 am, and I humbly request every person who started fasting with me to break the fast right now and join me here tomorrow when I break my fast," said Anna Hazare to a huge round of cheer from thousands of his supporters at the Ramlila ground.

Vilasrao Deshmukh read out the letter from the Prime Minister and handed it over to Anna Hazare.

Civil society members Kiran Bedi, Arvind Kejriwal, Sisodia, Prashant Bushan and others were also present.

Celebrations have already begun across the nation, with young and old marching into the streets and shouting slogans in favour of Anna Hazare.