Must read- the brooklyn bridge story

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)

27 October 2011  

THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE

In 1883 a visionary and engineer by the name of John Roeling had a big vision. He wanted to build something really big. Something spectacular that had never been done before. He wanted to build a bridge between New York and Long Island.

Everyone told him that was foolish. Something like that had never been done before and he should give up on his crazy idea as it was impossible to do something like that.

Roeling couldn’t. He was bound and determined to realize his vision. So he set out to look for some influential people to buy into his dream. Finally he recruited his son Washington who was an up and coming engineer.

“We can do it! Let’s build that bridge.”

They found the capital needed and started building the bridge. But only a few months into it there was a terrible accident on the bridge which cost Roeling his life and left his son Washington with brain damage in a hospital bed.

He couldn’t talk. He couldn’t move. He couldn’t do anything more than move his fingers on his left hand.

Now all the media, all the employers and all the naysayers said, “See, we told you it couldn’t be done.

There’s no way. Why are you doing this? People lost their jobs, they lost their money. Now there is no bridge.”

Laying there in his hospital bed Washington wasn’t about to give up. As a sudden flaash of light came through the window he took it as a sign and all his determination came back. He said, “I have hope. I have vision. I can do this!”

While his body wasn’t working, his mind still was and was sharp as ever.

His beautiful wife was by his side and supported him through all these moments of terrible hardship.

Washington said, “I am actually going through with this. I will finish this bridge.”

So since he could only move the fingers of his left hand he developed a communication code to express every single idea in his mind to his wife so she could understand.

He called back all the engineers and for 13 years communicated every single idea in his head by tapping his wife’s arm with his left hand.

He finished the bridge … which today is known as the Brooklyn Bridge.

And that’s the Brooklyn Bridge Story – A Story of Determination and Realizing Your Dream.

As Napoleon Hill said,

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve. Regardless how many times you may have failed in the past or how lofty your aims and hopes may be.”

SOURCE : Article by Ms. Ilka Flood , https://enlightenednetworker.com/