Management Skills

Nicky (Chartered Accountant) (245 Points)

08 April 2010  

Sharing it with you people a management case moreso, need to know your solutions to the problem, at the same time I have something in mind which I will discuss latter:

a)      There is a Bank Branch in Tier II city of India, the branch is of a very private banking company

b)      The company policy states that incase of an attempt of theft, the cashier should try and ring the alarm bell if possible and not do anything that endangers public life.

c)      On one day there is attempt to theft at a bank and the cashier not only catches hold of the thief but also gets struck my a bullet in his hand.

d)      Local press has made him a hero.

Now, the question before Bank Management is whether to fire this person because he endangered public life, the bullet could have hit any customer too.. and the management doesn’t do it then the same action could be replicated at other branches..

But the situation doesn’t warrant any negative action against the cashier he is a local hero..

Bank management is in a fix?

I know as Chartered Accountants we need not be understanding this problem, but at the same time we are heavily involved in Policy Writing and this a breach of policy as prescribed, assume for a moment that you were the one who wrote the policy and need to advice the bank…

I am sorry if I wasted your time incase this question does not interest you.