Knowing our body - i ( hand)

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)

25 September 2011  

KNOWING OUR BODY -  I

Very Good Evening, friends.

Today I'm going to start a new series on ... you can very well guess that; so, I better hold myself back from beating around the bush.:)

I hope you will find my effort useful.

HAND

AT HAND

·     ** I haven’t got the books at hand, but I can get them for you by this afternoon.

BE HAND IN GLOVE (WITH SOMEONE) = To be very closely associated with someone.

·     ** Apparently, the British and American secret services were hand in glove on the latest espionage case.

HAND DOWN = To pass on from one generation to the next

·     ** These customs have been handed down from father to son since the Middle Ages.

HAND IN = To give or bring to a person, place etc.

·     ** The teacher told the children to hand in their exercise-books.

HAND OVER FIST = In large amounts, usually quickly

·    **Share prices were dropping and Swapan found himself losing money hand over fist.

KEEP ONE'S HAND IN = To remain good or skilful at doing something by doing it occasionally

·     ** I still sometimes play the game of chess, just to keep my hand in.

OFF ONE'S HANDS = No longer needing to be looked after etc.

·     ** You'll be glad to get the children off your hands for a couple of weeks.

TO HAND = Here; easily reached, in one’s possession at the moment.

·      **All the tools you need are to hand.

CAP IN HAND = Humble

·    **He had a strong disagreement with his Boss, but next morning, he went back cap in hand and apologized

A DAB HAND (IN SOMETHING) = Clever/skillful/experienced person

·   **Babu is quite a dab hand at repairing electrical things. Let him have a look at your UPS.

PUT ONE’S HAND TO THE PLOUGH = Work hard with great effort

·    ** When Vijay inherited his father’s business he did very little work for the first six months. But as soon as he put his hand to the plough, he made a big success of it.