Just for an extra bedroom - Every person living away from home should read this !!

Ashwini Damani (Article) (131 Points)

05 January 2012  

...Just for an extra bedroom - A sad bitter reality

#POST 0026
Every person who is far away from their parents, for jobs should read this heart touching story!!!

WRITTEN BY AN INDIAN ENGINEER.. 

A Bitter Reality

As the dream of most parents I had acquired a degree in Engineering and joined a company based in USA , the land of braves and opportunity. When I arrived in theUSA , it was as if a dream had come true. Here at last I was in the place where I want to be. I decided I would be staying in this country for about Five years in which time I would have earned enough money to settle down in India . 

My father was a government employee and after his retirement, the only asset he could acquire was a decent one bedroom flat. I wanted to do some thing more than him. I started feeling homesick and lonely as the time passed. I used to call home and speak to my parents every week using cheap international phone cards. Two years passed, two years of Burgers at McDonald's and pizzas and discos and 2 years watching the foreign exchange rate getting happy whenever the Rupee value went down. 

Finally I decided to get married. Told my parents that I have only 10 days of holidays and everything must be done within these 10 days. I got my ticket booked in the cheapest flight. Was jubilant and was actually enjoying hopping for gifts for all my friends back home. If I miss anyone then there will be talks.. After reaching home I spent home one week going through all the photographs of girls and as the time was getting shorter I was forced to select one candidate. In-laws told me, to my surprise, that I would have to get married in 2-3 days, as I will not get anymore holidays. After the marriage, it was time to return to USA , after giving some money to my parents and telling the neighbors to look after them, we returned to USA . My wife enjoyed this country for about two months and then she started feeling lonely. The frequency of calling India increased to twice in a week sometimes 3 times a week. Our savings started diminishing.

Read the full article on https://goldensilt.blogspot.com/2011/11/just-for-extra-bedroom-sad-bitter.html