Interruptions in daily life should not impact our happiness

CA. Tanvi Joshi (Chartered Accountant) (2729 Points)

17 May 2013  

Few days back, for three days,  the internet connection of my area was down, I was  not feeling normal. It is habit to spend some hrs in computer system. But, since it was disconnected, I was not seen for three days,and one of my friend smsed me "How are you?”  I replied…"I am ok but feeling down because the net is down” …to that, my mature friend reverted saying…"No no..Please be charged, net should not decide your cheerfulness.”  And this very sentence was enough to make me feel relaxed. I regained my composure, I redefined my feelings, and said myself that…"yes I should be happy anyway”…This is just an example, while we come across, many such interruptions in our daily life.. 

Right from the morning when we wake up, we all have our own fixed routine. Our mind is free when it goes smoothly but if any interruption arises, we feel little disturbed. Suppose, if the news paper walah, has not put the paper in time, this interrupts the calm mind, as per routine, you are habitual to read head lines before rushing for the day work. This is tea time and without newspaper something is missing, you feel informed about the happening around the World. But you can’t help it, someday starts, thinking this way. Though as a mature person we always make an effort to be normal but in the back of mind it does not leave us easily. Your mobile charger or your mobile is missing, you are getting late for office, wife is busy in kitchen and if she too is working, may be busy for her office  and maid informed that she is not reporting. These situations can be very trying at times. You have to manage and keep yourself cheerful and any how you have to leave for office. If any substitute maid you find, then it is ok, but if not available, you can not pull any other maid’s hand and order that do my work, you have to manage anyway keeping smile on your face. Some days as soon as you start your way to office or some other destination, what sight you come across, there is so much traffic on the road, you definitely say oh! How horrible but.. You are bound in such circumstances, you can not jump into the air and start flying like pawansut Hanumaan.Instead, and you have to take these interruptions with a pinch of salt. Instead of staring wrist watch repeatedly, you have to chill yourself with sweet songs playing on radio to occupy that annoying situation in a best possible way. Sometimes interruption in the supply of electricity, you have to be charged, you can not through your tantrums. In this era of communication and electronic gadgets, Sometimes internet is down, and you have loads of work pending, you can’t help it when it is not rectified in time instead you have to be cheerful  accommodating that internet time with some books or other hobbies,   sometimes autorikshaw strike. Some days bus strike, some day aviation strike. In a sticky sweaty summer, AC is not functioning at midnight. You feel like throwing the AC for a second but it can not help you. Instead you have to be calm, and think that fan is there. For house wives who are addicted to TV serials, if any day there is no cable access, they can not gulp their meals. But what to do, there is no magician out there to sort it out, instead of becoming exhausted you have to wait patiently and originate new refreshing hobby to pass the time without getting taken over the interruption. 

Such is life, many things are not in our hands, and we need to make effort that such interruptions should not decide our cheerfulness. As we all know that there is too much misery and suffering in the World. We must think that we are so blessed and such disturbance should not impact us even one %.  Most people would describe the human mind as intelligent, clever and God’s Masterpiece. But you can practically feel that our mind is quite weird, because although it is mature, is so easily provoked, and even after gaining great deal of wisdom, it can not understand that matters can be tolerated in simple ways. What is required is a cool head, a tolerant heart and some patience which unfortunately to be singularly missing in many of us.