Ice cream

Jyoti Goyal (Manager) (169 Points)

15 September 2011  

One  day I had lunch with some friends. Rod, a short, good looking  golfer type about 62 years old, came along with them---all in  all, a pleasant bunch.

When the menus were  presented, we ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups, except for  Rod who said, "Ice Cream, please. Two scoops,  chocolate.

I wasn't sure my ears  heard right, and the others were aghast. "Along with heated apple pie," Rod added, completely unabashed.

We tried to act quite  nonchalant, as if people did this all the time.. But when our  orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy  mine.

I couldn't take my eyes  off Rod as his pie a-la-mode went down. The other guys couldn'  believe it. They ate their lunches silently and  grinned.

The next time I went out  to eat, I called and invited Rod. I lunched on white meat tuna.  He ordered a  parfait.

I smiled. He asked if he  amused me I answered, "Yes, you do, but also you confuse me.

How come you order rich  desserts, while I feel I must be sensible? He laughed and said  "I'm tasting all that is possible.

I try to eat the food I  need, and do the things I should. But life's so short, my  friend, I hate missing out on something good.  This year I realized how  old I was. (He grinned) I haven't been this old  before."

"So, before I die, I've  got to try those things that for years I had  ignored. I haven't smelled all  the flowers yet. There are too many trout streams I haven't  fished. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be  flow  overhead.

There  are too many Roping I have not been too. I've not laughed at all  the jokes. I've missed a lot of sporting events and potato chips  and Beer.

I want to wade again in  water and feel ocean spray on my face. I want to sit in a  country church once more and thank God for His grace. 
I want peanut butter  every day spread on my morning toast. I want un-timed long  distance calls to the folks I love the  most.

I haven't cried at all  the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel  wind on my face. I want to be in love  again.

So, if I choose to have  dessert, instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I missed out on  nothing. I filled my heart's desire. I had that final chocolate  mousse before my life  expired."

With that, I called the  waitress over. "I've changed m mind, " I said. "I want what he  is having, only add some more whipped cream!" 

This is my gift to you -  We need an annual Friends Day! If you get this twice, then you  have more than one friend. Live well, love much & laugh  often - Be happy. 

Be mindful that  happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige, but on  relationships with people we like and respect. Remember that  while money talks,  CHOCOLATE  ICE CREAM  SINGS!