How To Write Different Types of Economics Exams

BALASUBRAMANYA B Npro badge (CCI STUDENT....) (44679 Points)

13 October 2009  

It's almost the end of the term - you're probably looking forward to going home, relaxing and having some fun. But first you have to write your exams! Hopefully you've studied (if not check out this article on how to cram). But even if you know everything from the course you still need to know how to write the exam. I've outlined how to write the three most common exams types:

1. The Multiple Choice Exam
  2. The Essay Exam
  3. The Short Answer Exam

I hate writing multiple choice exams! A lot of my friends think they're easy because the answer to the question is already written down but I always seem to panic and choose the wrong answer. Here are some hints I've found that actually help me get a good mark on multiple choice exams.

1. Read each question carefully - make sure you understand what the question is asking
  2. Try to predict the answer before you look at the choices.
  3. If you don't know the answer narrow your choices by eliminating any alternatives you know are wrong
  4. Make an educated guess - unless you lose marks for wrong answers
  5. Don't spend too much time on a question - you can always go back if you have extra time.

How to Write an Essay Exam

Essay exams can be really scary. But here are some hints to get you through:

1. Take some time to plan - don't jump straight into the essay - take a few minutes to write out an outline and some points you want to make in the essay
  2. Answer the question completely
  3. Stay focused
  4. Support your arguments
  5. Proof-read - make sure your answer is easy to read and makes sense

How to Write a Short Answer Exam

1. Read the whole exam first before you start
  2. Answer the easiest questions first
  3. Read each question carefully - make sure you understand what the question is asking
  4. Write your short answers in simple sentences. Try to fit as much information in as possible.
  5. Proof-read - make sure your answer is easy to read and makes sense