Easy Office
LCI Learning

How to show remuneration received by partner in itr-3

Page no : 3

G.Siva Shankar ((CA)) (54 Points)
Replied 24 September 2018

Prepare the returns using latest return preparation software of income tax department, and iam able to file the returns without any problem, hope this will solve the problem.

1 Like

Akash Agarwal (Book Worm, Student) (65 Points)
Replied 04 October 2018

Actually one more step needed to be followed in such case.
First you have to select option 00001 - Share of income from firm only under the NATURE OF BUSINESS Schedule.
Then you have to fill Interest in A24 Under Schedule BP.

bharath kb (2 Points)
Replied 06 October 2018

please select "profit from firm only" in "nature of business" schedule, then the BS & P&L A/c shall becomes disabled.

Rohit Pandey (Student) (766 Points)
Replied 10 October 2018

This is not a defect in java utility and ITR will get defective if not corrected.

Replied 10 October 2018

Originally posted by : Dhirajlal Rambhia
Yes, this is the defect in the utility, this year. All those who have filled the partner's remuneration like this have got similar e-mail. At the same time there is no link for reply to mail in the e-filing site...... which means it is just informative mail, and not to be worried.

Technically, you have filed perfectly, so question of any defect would not arise. CPC will automatically correct it.

This is not a defect in java utility and ITR will get defective if not corrected.

Replied 10 October 2018

Originally posted by : chMahesh Babu
Sir,my partnership firm Turnover 8lacs and net profit is 53000 after deducting of all including of partners remuneration and interest alsi....is audit is applicable...plz suggest sir.

If you'll claim taxable income below 8% of total turnover, then audit is applicable.

rahul (accounts manager) (25 Points)
Replied 15 January 2019

Dear Sir,

I filed ITR-3 as partner of a partnership firm for AY 2018-19.I got share of profit of 43357/- which I had shown in schedule - BP - Row No. A5 as "Income/receipt credited to Profit & Loss account which is exempt".

Apart form above I also have "Interest income from PPF(Public Provident Fund) of Rs.9909/- which I had shown in schedule -EI (Exempt Income - not to be included in Total Income).

Now the IT Deptt. sent me a notice subject as "Communication of proposed adjustment u/s 143(1)(a)" as given below :

Schedule  Error Descripttion Amount in Income Amount in Tax Return Amount as Computed Variance on account of Proposed Adjustment
Schedule -BP In Schedule BP, Row no A5 “Income/receipt credited to profit and loss account (included in 1) which is Exempt –Sl.No 5d value is more than the SUM of Exempt income Schedule 43357 9909 33448

IT Deptt. is now asking to revise the return accordingly.

My query is:

1. Whether "Share of Profit of partner from Firm" should be shown in EI-(Exempt Income) schedule along with BP schedule in ITR-3..??

2. Can I revise the return by showing Rs.43357/- in Exempt Income schedule along with Interest on PPF of Rs.9909/-, so the total exempt income will be Rs.53266/- (i.e.43357+9909).

Kindly, advise what should be my next course of action.

Thanks & regards,

Rahul Gupta

Kalpesh Bhavsar (2 Points)
Replied 24 March 2019

Dear Sir,

In ITR-3 for AY-18-19, Where do we report Profits received from partnership firm by partner? I had reported profits under Schedule BP in 36i in Section 44AD and also under Schedule IF, however department issued notice for defective return as below. Please request your view on below issue. Do i required to file revised return and if yes then under which head should i report Salary and profits received from Partnership firm.

a) The Gross receipts is not mentioned in the Profit & Loss A/c, OR
b) The profit shown is less than 6% of the gross receipts as prescribed u/s 44AD but has not mentioned the maintenance of the books of accounts and audit report u/s 44AB in Part A-General and the total income exceeds the maximum amount not chargeable to income tax
a) Gross receipts to be entered in the Profit and loss A/c.
b) Declaring profit of 6% or more of gross receipts as per Section 44AD
c) Filling the Part A of Schedule Balance Sheet, Part A of Schedule Profit & Loss and details of audit report in Schedule Part A-General if your total income exceeds the maximum amount not chargeable to income tax.

Regards,

Kalpesh Bhavsar

Yamsani Anil (Student MBA) (24 Points)
Replied 03 September 2019

I have filled ITR 3 for contract lecturer income under P&L gross receipts and after that it was reflecting in BP section A1 and the same has been submited.

today, i got an email starting that Disallowances/Defects identified in the Income. Kindly suggest, where should i mention the contract lecturer income in itr 3.

Kindly suggest and help me in this regard. Thanks!

S.No. Defect Impact Suggested Resolution
1 Income from "Profits and Gains from Business or Profession" is greater than 2.5 lakhs but particulars as in "Balance sheet/Profit and Loss Account" are not filled Income Tax Return may be treated as defective if particulars in "Balance sheet/Profit & Loss Account" are not filled Please fill Balance sheet/Profit & Loss Account

Dhirajlal Rambhia (SEO Sai Gr. Hosp.) (168002 Points)
Replied 03 September 2019

@ Anil,

You have to remove the defect in ITR as suggested.

Upload return u/s. 139(9) in reply to the notice under E-proceeding, by providing business account details in schedule P&L and BS...

2 Like

Yamsani Anil (Student MBA) (24 Points)
Replied 04 September 2019

Sir....My name is Anil. I have entered the contract lecturer income in profit & loss sheet under gross receipt. and it is reflecting in BP - A1.

Kindly suggest, is there any problem will happen or need to any thing now. 

Dhirajlal Rambhia (SEO Sai Gr. Hosp.) (168002 Points)
Replied 04 September 2019

As you have not opted for sec. 44ADA, implies you have declared the income under normal assessment, whereby you are supposed to maintain books of accounts for the professional income. As such some details of expenditures w.r.t. the income earned and balance sheet details are required to be provided in the ITR schedules.

1 Like

Saurabh Dhaka (article assistant) (50 Points)
Replied 27 December 2019

if you filed this ITR by using Genius software then remove this error by 

BUSINESS-BUSINESS/PROFESSION-Business Covered U/S, if any (44AD) and fill the turnover...

Please dont enter the 44AD details in BUSINESS--44AD,44ADA,44AE--44AD

Aman (Student) (24 Points)
Replied 01 July 2024

As per Section 40(b), any sum paid by the partnership firm to the working partners in the form of salary, bonus, commission or remuneration, by whatever name called, shall be allowed as a deduction to the firm. If the book profit of the firm is negative, the maximum deduction of Rs. 1,50,000 is allowed to the firm for the partner's remuneration. Where no deduction is allowed to a firm in respect of remuneration paid to the partners, the same shall not be considered as income in the hands of the partners.

The meaning of the term 'income' is defined in an inclusive manner in Section 2(24). Among others, it includes any sum chargeable to income tax under Section 28(v), which is the interest, salary, bonus, commission or remuneration due to, or received by, a partner from the firm. The proviso to Section 28(v) provides that where any interest, salary, bonus, commission or remuneration has not been allowed to be deducted under Section 40(b), the income under this clause shall be adjusted to the extent of the amount not so allowed to be deducted. Section 40(b) prescribes the limits up to which the deduction shall be allowed to the partnership firm for the interest or remuneration paid to the partners.

In other words, where the interest or remuneration paid to a partner exceeds the limit prescribed or is not paid in compliance with the prescribed conditions, it shall not be allowed to be deducted to the firm, and correspondingly no tax shall be levied in the hands of the partner. 

A receipt which is not termed as income, cannot be assessed to Income-tax. Thus, to levy income-tax on any receipt, it is important to first see whether such receipt falls under the definition of income or not? If it does, only then it is relevant to check whether any exemption is available in respect of such income or not?

As per Section 2(24)(ve) read with Section 28(v), interest or remuneration received by a partner from partnership firm is considered as his income. The proviso to Section 28(v) clearly specifies that the remuneration or interest paid to a partner shall be adjusted with that amount which is not deductible to the partnership firm under Section 40(b). Thus, it can be concluded that the interest or remuneration not deductible in the hands of the partnership firm should not be considered as income of the partners.

Conclusion

As the interest or remuneration is not deductible in the hands of the partnership firm, it is not considered as income of the partners. When a receipt is not considered income, it is not required to be disclosed in the ITR Forms.

Aman (Student) (24 Points)
Replied 01 July 2024

As per Section 40(b), any sum paid by the partnership firm to the working partners in the form of salary, bonus, commission or remuneration, by whatever name called, shall be allowed as a deduction to the firm. If the book profit of the firm is negative, the maximum deduction of Rs. 1,50,000 is allowed to the firm for the partner's remuneration. Where no deduction is allowed to a firm in respect of remuneration paid to the partners, the same shall not be considered as income in the hands of the partners.

The meaning of the term 'income' is defined in an inclusive manner in Section 2(24). Among others, it includes any sum chargeable to income tax under Section 28(v), which is the interest, salary, bonus, commission or remuneration due to, or received by, a partner from the firm. The proviso to Section 28(v) provides that where any interest, salary, bonus, commission or remuneration has not been allowed to be deducted under Section 40(b), the income under this clause shall be adjusted to the extent of the amount not so allowed to be deducted. Section 40(b) prescribes the limits up to which the deduction shall be allowed to the partnership firm for the interest or remuneration paid to the partners.

In other words, where the interest or remuneration paid to a partner exceeds the limit prescribed or is not paid in compliance with the prescribed conditions, it shall not be allowed to be deducted to the firm, and correspondingly no tax shall be levied in the hands of the partner. 

A receipt which is not termed as income, cannot be assessed to Income-tax. Thus, to levy income-tax on any receipt, it is important to first see whether such receipt falls under the definition of income or not? If it does, only then it is relevant to check whether any exemption is available in respect of such income or not?

As per Section 2(24)(ve) read with Section 28(v), interest or remuneration received by a partner from partnership firm is considered as his income. The proviso to Section 28(v) clearly specifies that the remuneration or interest paid to a partner shall be adjusted with that amount which is not deductible to the partnership firm under Section 40(b). Thus, it can be concluded that the interest or remuneration not deductible in the hands of the partnership firm should not be considered as income of the partners.

Conclusion

As the interest or remuneration is not deductible in the hands of the partnership firm, it is not considered as income of the partners. When a receipt is not considered income, it is not required to be disclosed in the ITR Forms.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: