How to Choose between old and new tax regime for Tax Relief u/s 89

I have opted for the old tax regime from F.Y.2015-16 to the last F.Y. 2022-23 now I received some arrears of that financial year.And in this F.Y.2023-24 I want to opt for a new tax regime.My question is 1) while calculating the tax relief
u/s 89, software ask to choose between old and new regime. On choosing the old tax regime I got more tax relief than the new regime. but I am opting for a new tax regime in this financial year, what to do please guide.
Replies (2)
Quick Summary
This discussion addresses a common query regarding choosing the correct tax regime (old or new) when claiming relief under Section 89 for arrears received in the current financial year. The user has previously opted for the old regime but wishes to switch to the new one for FY 2023-24. Guidance confirms that relief under Section 89 must be claimed based on the default tax regime applicable for the specific financial year the arrears pertain to.

You can easily choose
As per Rule you can file Relief 89 under Default Tax Regime of particular FY Year. If you to for FY 2023-24 there is default Regime is New then you must have to file under New Regime only. Not in any other. I confirm with CPC, Income Tax Dept.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details