Easy Office
LCI Learning

How did you fair in CA Final (Old & New) May 2010 Attempt ?

Page no : 2

Naami (CA Final Student (Articled Assistant))   (162 Points)
Replied 18 May 2010

Thanz Kuldeep

Nice to know about your confidence. Keep it up. How much time does one need to study the whole course?

Please give your suggestions here: /forum/is-5-months-enough-to-pass--83029.asp

Helpful for the next attempt

CA-CWA RAVI (CA-CWA in industry) (5464 Points)
Replied 18 May 2010

hi friends 

please visit the excellent blog by anshul

www.anshulbafna.blogspot.com

u will find the may 2010 question papers for both old and new syllabus here 

cheers!!

1 Like

Nishant (Charterted Accountant) (56 Points)
Replied 18 May 2010

Name= {Nishant Agrawal}

Syllabus= {New}

Attempt= {First }

Group Appeared= {/Both}

Paper-1= {Shocker, They Asked AS 30 which was  not expected application part as per thier Notification issued. }

Paper-2= {/Moderate/ }

Paper-3= {/Moderate/

Paper-4= /Moderate/

Paper-5= {/Tough/)}

Paper-6= {/Moderate/

Paper-7= {/Tough/

Paper-8= {/Easy,

Your Final Comments on May 2010 Attempt = {One have to be  sure for all updates  }

Rate this attempt on the scale of 10= {5/10}

Tips for next attempt = {Study hard  }

The Ones in { } brackets must be editted.

1 Like

Rohan (CA Finalist) (359 Points)
Replied 18 May 2010

Name=  Rohan

Syllabus=  Old

Attempt= Third

Group Appeared= Both

Paper-1= Moderate

Suggestions for Next Attempt : Well, regardless of what the ICAI decides to publish as a notification, there are some things that are mandatory for Accts prep. Firstly, the Accounting standards must be studied from NOW on if I am to attempt November exams. Standards are not the same as the practicals that are either right, wrong or give you part marks, standards seem quite innocuous to start with yet few of us can write out exam answers lucidly, work must be done to understand each AS on its own basis. Each AS has its own importance in both presentation of accts as well as application. AS that seem not-so-important to us like ones in the first 15 are the ones where conceptual clarity will give us the marks. The last 17 AS frankly can be relied on for their practical aspects more than conceptual. When an examiner has a choice between a long EPS sum and a short conceptual one, he’s not gonna spend sleepless nights wondering. So expect conceptual ones from first 14/15 and practical applications from the remaining.

TIP for Accts Nov: AS 30 to 32 definitions..since they googly-ed us this time..they are gonna give us tough theoreticals in NOV.

Paper-2= Tough

Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any : We are so much behind the MBAs…its sad. Once you are feeling in the mood to look at the paper again, sit down and rethink, ask urself how would you solve this. You’ll be surprised how simple it was. If we had to advice someone how to attempt this paper and didn’t have to solve it ourselves we’d be very happy. Whosoever didn’t fare well here is just lazy mentally or weak conceptually, and am not even talking about ‘expert’ level knowledge. Just be ready to roll ur sleeves and solve those sums guys.

TIP for MAFA Nov: Burn that Kalra-JB Gupta-Makker book. Pick up a Prasanna Chandra/ IM Panday/ Brearley-Myers…iron out your concepts then attempt each paper for the last 5 yrs.

Paper-3= Easy

Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any: Guys we are so used to this one! Study all..repeat..ALL the chapters so that you aren’t surprised with a silly/easy question from an unimportant chapter. Do All SAs well, don’t need any conceptual clarity here, neither can the SAs provide you with any, am sorry! If you happen to take ur articleship seriously you might catch a lucky break, like this attempt’s question on Cement dispatch nos, but nothing beat ‘rattofying’ in this paper. And yes, pls remember, writing skills aren’t needed for those waiting to get 50-55 n clear..they are needed for those who want a 70 in this paper..as long as all the points are given n explained in broken English that’ll suffice.

TIP for Audit Nov: Learn the Schedule Nos of Prof Ethics Chapter..that way you’ll get every question right for sure coz u remember each Clause and once you mention the clause the examiner aint going to go over ur answer with a tooth comb! So that’s 16-18 marks in the bag.

Paper-4= Easy

Suggestions for Next Attempt: Audit’s elder brother. Study each and every chapter. The examiner will test your thoroughness with the syllabus rather than your depth.

TIP for LAW Nov: SEBI+Interpret of stat+SCRA+FEMA+Winding up+Compet Act= 45/50 marks everytime. Kept telling my friends this day before the Law but they kept getting entangled in Directors!

Paper-5= Tough

Suggestions for Next Attempt: Lets face it. Its not gonna get any better than this. Forget ur old make or buy sums and school children on a trip sums..from now on its gonna be a ball buster everytime!! Firstly,the ICAI module of Costing is the only one worth its salt. Read it judiciously to improve your concepts. Then practice from the compiler and especially last 5 yrs to get a gauge of the level you are required to solve. One cant do much if it’s a TP+Dec making+marg cost Combined problem, but there are other smaller topics that give us the opportunity to score. Make those count.

TIP for COSTING Nov: Theory (20+), OR (25) will let you pass…solve the rest calmly..you only need 20 more out of the rest 55 to have 60..ie.exemption level marks.

Paper-6
= Easy

Suggestions for Next Attempt: A necessary evil..more like a freebie! This has no amendments to speak of (disregarding IT Act,which came for 5 marks again this time)..no tough practical questions..nothing! Just do your Dinesh Madan/ICAI Module followed by compiler. Its necessary to understand what the examiners want when they ask a question in this one cause all the answers are simple..its the question setters ambiguity or ability to twist the question that muddles us.

TIP for MICS Nov: Examiners set questions from ICAi module..not Madan or Sharma or Rajeev..and the module has so much that Notes don’t cover…so do the module thoroughly once..then again before exams once..so no surprises.

Paper-7= Easy (yeah ok am a DT freak!)

Suggestions for Next Attempt: Nov exams shouldn’t have so many amendments or circulars embedded. It should be a normal DT paper with AP-Appeals process-MAT-FIRMS-Charitable trust. Learn them all..ALL..cause marks may be just a miserly 5 for a one page sum.

TIP for DT Nov: Wealth tax is 10 marks….Cap gains/MAT/PGBP/Firms/Charitable trst=20/25 marks atleast…..80/10 series+Chap VI= 10 marks…that’s 45 marks…rest 55 khud kar lena J

Paper-8= Tough ( I’ve never got this one..sucks!)

Suggestions for Next Attempt: Every attempt has about 40-50 marks set in which can only be attempted by a guy doing the whole syllabus. Don’t leave out anything in your prep till the last few weeks arrive.

TIP for IDT Nov: This will have amendments and circular notices again cause you don’t have a large imposing event like a budget dictating events. Study all case laws..all amendments..and keep up to date with circ notices from November to May 2010

Your Final Comments on May 2010 Attempt = Sniff!! Weep!! Will pass all 8..wont clear…

Rate this attempt on the scale of 10= {Your Ratings 3/10 if I flunk…10/10 if I pass}

Tips for next attempt = DON’T LISTEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS OR TEACHER’S ADVICE…THEY SHOOT IN THE DARK! FOLLOW YOUR OWN HEART..DO YOUR OWN ANALYSIS

2 Like

CA. Anubhav Jaggi (CA) (104 Points)
Replied 18 May 2010

Name= {Anubhav}

Syllabus= {New}

Attempt= {/Second/}

Group Appeared= {Both}

Paper-1= {Moderate, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Learn the concept, Dnt mug up the process)}

Paper-2= {Tough, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Try to do variety of questions frm wherever possible.Dnt stick only to past trands and variety)}

Paper-3= {Moderate, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Practical knowledge and cover all course. No selective coverage.}

Paper-4= {Moderate, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Paper was covering all course content. Dnt leave anything)}

Paper-5= {Moderate/, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (cover OR portion nicely. Its scoring. understand the concept of costing questions. Dnt afraid of big questions. just read them carefully. )}

Paper-6= {/Moderate/, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Just cover all chapters properly.)}

Paper-7= {/Moderate/, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Cover amendments,circulars and important case laws)}

Paper-8= {/Tough/, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (do practical questions properly. they cover good marks.)}

Your Final Comments on May 2010 Attempt = {Try to Cover maximum syllabus. Dnt do selective study. }

Rate this attempt on the scale of 10= {Your Ratings 6/10}

Tips for next attempt = { }

1 Like

vivek kumar jain (service/student) (559 Points)
Replied 18 May 2010

Dear Naami,

first of all let be thank you for preparing this questionnare.may be it is your attempt in nov, 10 but this feedback will certainly help other members of caclubindia who will be appearing for the  nov 10 exams

Name= vivek kumar jain

Syllabus= Old

Attempt= More than three(with job)

Group Appeared= First

Paper-1= Moderate Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt:- This paper can be valued as tough, since many question were of unexpected kind. my suggestion is go through extra reports and publications..as at times the inst, sets of practicability, which is beyond books.I would also suggest to have a nice practical exposure on accounting standards, because day by day...the practical questions on accounting standard is increasing.....specially second generation accounting standard.

Paper-2= ShockerYour expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt:- The same as in accounts, and you should go beyond your books and coaching classes.

Paper-3= Easy, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt:- one of the good subject to score, if you have interest in theory subjects and if you have good practical exposure during your articleship.

Paper-4= Tough Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Not Mandatory)}

Your Final Comments on May 2010 Attempt = As per my view the papers were tough as compared to the new course(as per first group is concerned).

The papers were not of general patterns......this is because the inst wants to lessen the pass percentage.

Rate this attempt on the scale of 10= {Your Ratings cant rate at this point}

Tips for next attempt = Dear saami, i think if you read systematically in a planned way from now on you can easily clear both the groups.

but there should be constant study.

in case of any help required, you can be in touch with me.......

all the best......

1 Like

(Guest)

For answer of IDT old go to-

/forum/my-answer-on-idt-old-may-2010-83578.asp

1 Like

Replied 19 May 2010

Thnx a lot everyone.

some people have asked to study the module completely for Audit, Law & MICS. but i have a module issued in 2007. do i have to look for new module. because most amendments wont be updated in module. and which case studies to remember. and how to remember. ?

thx

(Guest)

Name= Shashank

Syllabus= Old

Group Appeared= Second

Paper-5= For me it was moderate. From starting i am weak in Costing. In Last attempt also i was pass in all subject except this one. But this time much fair than earlier. Now its better to stick to concept, give proper importance to theory and Q.T. it covers ur 40% marks. And rest, do practise.

Paper-6= Already exempt

Paper-7= Easy, I cant predict marks but ya i can say much more than normally what i used to get. Its better to go throughly the recent amendments and case law. PGBP, Assessment and Wealth tax itself cover your 40%. So first have hand on experience on these topics.

Paper-8= Easy, again marks not predictable, but hoping for exemption. Same as above i.e
Its better to go throughly the recent amendments and case law. Better to stick to Bangar if you want to clear exam, but to have depth knowledge go to Daatey. Another important thing, first complete Excise and never leave notification and circulars.

Your Final Comments on May 2010 Attempt = Overall good attempt, much satisfied. Different people have different opinion but for me only costing matters, yaar they have asked such conceptual question, probably they will pass me. And those who are due for Nov 10 attempt, be ready for the big bouncer, please study all the amendments and case law which institute has not asked this time.

Rate this attempt on the scale of 10=  9/10

Tips for next attempt =Hey hoping to clear it this time itself n aise bhi  I will be working from onsight, Ireland from september, so it wont possible for me to give exam in Nov. So please pray for me that i clear it this time.

And do checkout my answer on DT old on https://www.caclubindia.com/forum/my-solution-on-dt-old-may-2010-83765.asp

Thanks

K.Srivatshan (Chartered Accountant) (24 Points)
Replied 19 May 2010

@ nammi: Its better to buy new editions available with the institute.

https://icai.org/post.html?post_id=5720&c_id=314.

in the above link v can download the material and other latest amedments and updates

Ravikumar Indi (CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT) (53 Points)
Replied 19 May 2010

Name= {Ravi}

Syllabus= {Old}

Attempt= {Third}

Group Appeared= {Second}

Paper-5= {Easy, Your expectations ( Nobody can Guess or expect), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (CA Means Conceptual clarity and analytical ability,if you follow this and study no matter how difficult is your question paper.Dont leave any topic untouched ,prepare thoroughly for QT ,Refer theory questions from compilations)}

Paper-6= {Easy, Your expectations (i cannot expect marks from this paper), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Dont leave any topic untouched prepare thoroughly,to the extent possible when you prepare for any topic first preference for those question which are not asked even at once in the exam then most repeated questions lastly for all questions given at the end of topic.....dont forget to see these questions )}

Paper-7= {Easy, Your expectations (i cannot expect), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (It is my experience i have personally noticed and observed that i dont know which book you refer,maximum questions are coming from T n Manoharan's Books,if you prepare thoroughly from this books try to remeber the important case laws he has discussed from this cases all questions are coming,if you see May-2010 question paper all questions he has discussed in his book except first questions,dear friends my experience i come out with the following strategy  1.At any cost prepare thoroughly recent amendments applicable for two exams given at RTP's respectively. 2.Recent CASE laws for may-2010 case laws 2009 are applicable prepare this first but dont forget to see 2008 case laws. 3.Then three to fours RTP prepare all the questions asked and remember only those case laws refereed,circular if any...  (most importantly for Assessment procedure,penalty offence ,income tax authorities etc applicable..most neglect other parts...give more stress on those topic which have most important effect of recent amendments. 4.Solve all questions which he has solved in his books first,then go thorogh the old questions asked these will not repeated but still see bcz your conceptual clarity will improve. 5.Priority for topics....first preference is always goes to Profits and Gains from business or profession then Capital gains,income from other sources ,deductions Chapter VI-A only recently amended and 80c to 80ccd 80D,80DDB,80U,80E,80GGC,80GG,80GGA,80G and remaining or important but see only those recently amended and then Charitable trusts,Assessment procedure,Penalty offence,TDS (dont forget to see recent amended and case laws if any and all old questions in this topic these are repeated and then wealth tax act.7.Prepare all Supreme courts decisions.then go for TRansfer pricing DTAA etc....... )}

Paper-8= {Easy, Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any (Here also the same i said above applicable but important is which book you referring is most important i say it  is Bangar,be careful and aware of all circulars,amendments applicable for three exams i.e For Nov-2010 exam may-10,Nov-09,may/June-09 are applicable give preference to these first and case laws for Two attempts this and previous )}

Tips for next attempt = { }

General Suggestions:-(Note these are all my personal opinion)

1.When you study know first your exam time i.e 2 to 5 or 1 to 4..........in this time dont sleep at any cost.....this time study thoroughly the subject you feel difficult read write or whatever subject but  this is the time everybody will go for sleep.......for at least one and half months don't sleep at this time...you alwasy try to feel this time as exam time and you are in exam hall writing exam....see the difference after exam and let me know.....

2.For costing,Mics first refer module then go for reference book of your like....

3.for100marks you have 180 miutes means that 180/100 you will get 1.8 minutes for 1 mark practice accordingly.

4.Make schedule for study , allot time every subject.suppose you are studying at 1 to 4 Direct tax laws then dont study just before 2 days of exam other subjects at this time.

5.First you decide place where you want to study dont change that place till complete your exam..survey shows changing of place frequently will affect your concentration amd memory.......

Your Final Comments on May 2010 Attempt = { }

Rate this attempt on the scale of 10= { 8/10}

Thanks friends and best of luck for your exam

Gazanfar (Accountant ) (48 Points)
Replied 19 May 2010

Name= {Gazanfar}

Syllabus= {Old

Attempt= {First}

Group Appeared=                                            {Second First clear}

Paper-5= {Tough  (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any Practice more Operational Research (Not Mandatory)}

Paper-6= {Moderate Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any  (Not Mandatory)}

Paper-7= {Shocker                              (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any prepare in practical approach (Not Mandatory)}

Paper-8= {Moderate Your expectations (Marks-Not Mandatory), Suggestions for Next Attempt if Any don’t leave for last time revision (Not Mandatory)}

Your Final Comments on May 2010 Attempt = {Institute should cut the lenth of the paper }

Rate this attempt on the scale of 10= {Your Ratings e.g 8/10}

Tips for next attempt = {study regular specially DT and IDT }

The Ones in { } brackets must be editted.

This item is copied from www.caclubindia.com 

Replied 20 May 2010

Thnx Shashank Ravikumar and gazanfar

Especially Ravikumar for his detailed analysis

thanx dear

regards

Deepak Jain (CA Final Student) (514 Points)
Replied 20 May 2010

Thanx Naami for taking time and preparing this questainaire. Replies to this will help all of us having attempt in Nov10.

Thanx.

1 Like

Replied 20 May 2010

Thnx Dear

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: